1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 7.3 no power

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by vmj, Dec 27, 2013.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

no power to get truck moving up slight incline in mornings.. not every morning.. seams like on cold mornings... Truck is kept in garage..

2. Briarpatch

Briarpatch Junior Member

Ford had mine for 2 months and couldn't fix it Traded it in on a GMG !!!!

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Fuel filter?

Does it throw a code?

4. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I would think if fuel filter it would do it all the time

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

no code is thrown

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Maybe it picks something from the bottom of the bowl, then settles after running? It happened with our 08, happened to be a piece of rust.

7. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

good point I guess its worth changing..

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Is it making a hissing sound? When was the oil last changed? Does it get better after driving 10-15 minutes? These trucks basically block of the exhaust before the turbo to help the engine warm up faster. This also keeps from making any boost. You can let it idle all you want in the cold and it never really gets warm until you drive it. So without boost these engines are real dogs.

9. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

oil was just changed.. thought it was low but that is not the case if I let it ideal a bit while geeting coffee it goes into that hiss... at the times when it low power it does run better after 10-15

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

it has only done this one other year a couple of times...

11. kimber750

But is it hissing when you are trying to drive. Almost sounds like a air leak. Next time it does it try giving it more throttle until the hissing goes away, should see a huge jump in power.

12. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

no hissing when driving.. I have mashed pedel to floor, and nothing... some times it starts to catch and goes...

13. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Probibally cold and the turbo is getting old and not engauging until the oil warms up enought.

14. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Mine makes that hissing sound and i cant locate it what causes that.

15. kimber750

It is normal until the engine warms up.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have no idea and don't care what a GMG is, but the 7.3 is one of the most reliable diesel engines out there. Trading it in because some idiot at a dealership couldn't diagnose a problem is ridiculous.

Anywho, have you had the injectors checked? Sounds like stiction. Most of mine have it as well. Let them warm up fully--not necessary to drive it to warm in up--and they run fine. Take off when cold and they have a hard time moving.

Start with a fuel filter. Then move on to injectors. Even 1 or 2 or 3 will cause problems. I highly doubt it's the turbo.

17. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How many miles?

18. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Cam sensor or harness issue perhaps.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not if it goes away when it warms up.

Cam sensors are hit and miss, not just cold.

Same with wiring harnesses.

20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It's an oil valve (not sure what it's called for sure). It's at the top and back of the engine. It's fairly time comsuming repair (read expensive). My ole powerstroke needs it done but I deemed it not worth it unless I go in for something else as well.

Just warm the truck up more first and it won't be an issue.