1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 7.3 fuse problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by throughthestorm, Sep 25, 2007.

1. throughthestorm

throughthestorm Junior Member

I am having a problem with blowing a 10 amp fuse. It is the one that runs the dash cluster, lights, and the accelerator petal. Its an 02 f350 7.3 automatic. I have found everything that makes the fuse blow. If I shift from reverse to drive to quickly, or use the first or second gear, or if i turn overdrive off the fuse blows.

any idea's?

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

thats a tough one. the only thing i can think of is maybe there is a pinched wire at the base of the shifter and it keeps getting bumped around when you do the formentioned things.
  3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

send a pm to MikePSD he really seems to know those trucks.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

stroker probably hit the nail on the head.... it's pretty common on the Ford's for the wires leading from the overdrive off button on the shifter to chafe at the base of the shifter where they enter the steering column.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it's fuse #46? be careful the alternator runs through it.
  7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

what have you added to truck as of late jsut asking because sometimes thats your answer if nothing and its stock ok . what i like to do is rig up a HD flasher in my fuse some don't keep popping them . do a wiggle test on the harness for any small breaks in them harness check your grounds . let us some when what was condintion that it started happening . also do have a wiring diagram ?

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

this may be it

My buddy had that problem with his 02.This mat not be yours but i,ll let you know what his was.The dealer found the problem,Water was leaking in from the windshield running down thw window post on the d-side and landing on the fuse panel rotting it out and causing the fuse to blow.If you have had a windshield done which most have this could be your problem his was rotted out badly behind where the glass sits.The dealer told him to fix would be 4g to cut off the roof and replace it and replace the entire fuse box.Hope this helps this maybe what your got for troubles. good luck.
  9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

hey im not sure if you have the version with 2 fuse blocks or one but if you have 2 well here is a copy/paste from ford-trucks.com. i just happend to stumble upon this.

"If it's the under dash #19, IIRC, it's the purple-orange wire in the steering column where the shifter enters. It chafes in the bend around the bracket, shorts to ground, blows the fuse. I had the same problem a while back, real easy fix with a small piece of electrical tape. But I think mine only did it when I canceled OD.. hope this helps!"
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The overdrive off switch wires are a common problem. They have tiny wires running to it. I have driven ones that turn the overdrive off if you turn the wheel to the steering stop. The next time you do it the overdrive comes back on.
  11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Is it supposed to be a higher amp fuse that was wrongly replaced perhaps before you got the truck???
  12. throughthestorm

throughthestorm Junior Member

thanks for all the input!!!
    It was the O.D. wire in my steering colomn that had rubbed and was grounding out. thanks again!