1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 2500hd truck upgrades/ wish list

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hosenfeffer, Jun 2, 2010.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Just picked up a 2002 gas 2500hd with tow package factory installed to replace a plow truck. Truck has never worked in its life and the price was great. The "stance" is a little weird for me with the @ 2 inch front to rear difference any reason other than cosmetics to level this?
    I am assuming to add timbrens,shocks and an 8 ft plow from a local dealer with good service. Any input as to quirks mods etc would be great since I am unfamiliar with chevy/gmc products. Truck will be doing light duty hauling and medium duty plowing in winter. Couple of small parking lots and half a dozen driveways. A couple of them require a lot of back dragging if it makes a difference on plow purchase.
    Thanks much for any info!!

2. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Hosenfeffer,

I once had a rabbit named that.

If your truck doesn't have dual batteries, that's always a good add on. The truck should be factory equipped with a fairly high amp alternator and a tranny cooler.

3. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have an 02 2500HD 182K worked its whole life. Needed some parts replaced (nothing major) but that happen with a work truck on its way to 200K

Quirks according to me anyhow:
    The transmission even in T/H wants to take maximum advantage of the torque curve of the engine. IE when towing I often think I want it to down shift until I realize its holding speed. It will take an awful lot of throttle with out down shifting.

The engine sound like it wants to explode when I start in on a cold morning. I really worried about this for a while but after 182K it no longer bothers me.

The rear end likes to lock when towing depending on what brand of axle fluid I have in it. You will know when you go around corners with the rear end locked, mildly annoying as it will cause extra tire wear.

The only mods I have a dual batteries I would call these a must when plowing

4. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

thanks for the info

Truck seems good after extensive road test and looking at on lifts etc.
    My tranny guy says be careful about going into reverse on my particular model but other than that alls good!

5. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

a leveling kit is always a good idea, one of my buddies put a zone offroad 2 inch lift on his, front and rear, they also make a just the front leveling kit, alot less expensive then readylift, and they are made just as good

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The trans is very stout on these trucks (4L80E) but the operator 9 times out of 10 is the error point. Be sure to make COMPLETE stops before changing gears from forward to reverse, etc. Rolling gear changes is a guaranteed early grave for the trans. Also stick with the R-1, 1-R, shift pattern when plowing. That keeps the first/reverse band constantly engaged with full pressure, with little to no slipping. It also helps it run a lil cooler too. Wheel spinning with a blade full of snow is no good for them either. Just be careful with your stuff, give it routine maintenance and it will give you dependable service. But keep in mind, it can still break. Shyt happens and it is mechanical and human built.

7. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

There is no advantage, other than aesthetics, to a "leveling" or "lift" kit for these trucks. Timbrens are the only add-on for the front end that will mitigate any premature wear on the front end associated with plowing, and it will keep the front end from sagging with the weight of the plow. I would rather have the Timbrens take most of the weight instead of putting it all on the torsion bars. In addition, raising the front end does introduce premature wear on the front end components, so you will get the best performance and longest life by leaving it at the stock height - even if it does look goofy every once in a while.

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive never seen a need for a leveling kit on one of these trucks yet. Crank up the bars 4 to 6 turns evenly. U are more likely to run out of shock before u run out of adjustment on the bar.They look very goofy/stupid stock. Ive had everything on the front of my truck to a 8.6 ex v. And i travel with plows all over new england hanging off the front of my truck. And 90% of my front end is original, with 75k and mine sits completely level. I dont use timbrens I dont need them.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i just cranked the stock torsion keys on my 05 2500 HD. i turned them 5 times and the front raised an inch. i thought it would raise more than that