1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 2500hd torsion bar or keys

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hosenfeffer, Jun 3, 2010.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Wondering what the difference is between adding key or just cranking on the torsion bars other than money and is it worth it for shocks with more travel?
    I like a smooth ride if it helps with the options thanks!!
    For any fishing fanatics in New England tuna are up past the cape!!
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well there is no such thing as a smooth ride on a 3/4 ton plow truck, lol. Cranking the t-bars does nothing more than add height to the front end. Too much and you will bottom them out and ride like poop. You need a some movement in the front. It adds no more carrying weight what so ever to the front. As for keys, they are a good start for some extra height, but you will need shock relocation brackets as well. There are a few kits out there that have the keys and brackets. You will also need an unloading tool as well. There will still be suspension travel issues with those though. And the angle of the ball joints, cv shafts, etc. Most guys throw a set of timbrens in the front (to help with the nose dive and carry more weight) and 3-4 turns on the t-bars which gives you about an inch of height added. Cognito makes some awesome upgrades to the Chevy ifs front ends. I would check them out if you are looking for some extra ride height and durability. I run 4 tuns on my tbars and timbrens in the front. Drops maybe 1/2 inch with my 770 lb blade on the front. You can also upgrade torsion bars as well which will help alot with weight carrying capacity. As for shocks, I recommend the Bilsteins, either the originals or the 5100 series. Either way you will get a good ride and much more shock travel than the midget made for cars oem shocks
  3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

Cranking the bars will do the same as adding a new key. You both are just putting more pre load tension on the bar. A bigger bar is a stiffer spring which will handle more weight. Personally I'd just get a set of timbrens. In fact I did and they have been great.
  4. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Thanks that is what I thought. I was going to add the timbrens regardless.