1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'02 2500HD squeal on start up.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Joel B., Feb 4, 2007.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

When I start my truck cold I hear a squeal that lasts for about 10-15 seconds then slowly fades away. I hear it faintly for a couple miles until everything warms up. It almost sound like the belt squealing but I can't be sure. Can the belt be tightened?

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for any advice,

Joel B.
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Try spraying some belt dressing on it. That should solve your problems
  3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i have the same thing on my 05, only when its real cold, like a 2-3 sec grunt noise when it first starts.h
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It could also be the belt tensioner bearings going bad.
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My '99 has done this for the last couple of years. Changed belts and replced the idler pulley last year, thought that would take care of it. But nope, same thing. Once it is warmed up it quiets down.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

lodogg, the "grunt" noise your probably hearing is the power steering pump due to the extreme cold. What happens is when you start the truck, the pump immediately begins to try and move fluid through the system but since the wheels aren't being turned the fluid is being bypassed through the pressure relief valve. Due to the cold fluid being forced through the valve is causes the fluid to "chatter" against the relief until it opens fully.