1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 2500 HD Allison Issues...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by exmark1, Nov 20, 2011.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2002 2500 HD Duramax, Allison Transmission running a 8'2" Boss V-Plow

Last nite one of my guys calls and tells me that in clunks loudly and lunges when going into gear from park or neutral it does the same thing going into forward or reverse.

The truck has 139,000 miles on it and has never giving us any troubles, I have checked all the u joints etc... and they appear to be fine.

Any suggestions? The truck shifts and drives fine once it's in gear and going just engages bad
  2. Tom1

Tom1 Junior Member

Check engine light on? Possibly Torque Converter Clutch solenoid.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Need to check and reference any DTC codes before doing anything besides checking fluid level.
  4. exmark1

No lights came on ever it went from working perfect to what it was instantly, I went to pull it into the shop today and it was working perfectly fine again. It's going into the shop in the morning, thinking it had a sensor issue that sent it into safe mode.
  5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

check engine light on?
  6. exmark1

No it never came on
  7. chevyzrule810

let us know what you find out
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The fact that the CEL isn't on doesn't mean there are no codes stored so I'm sure they'll find some when they scan it.
  9. chevyzrule810

I've put a park neutral position switch in a 2001 2500HD because it wasn't shifting right and the check engine light was on.Not hard to replace at all right on the side of the transmission.
  10. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Ive had a few issues with no CEL. Have it ran like B&B said. Youd be surprised what doesnt blink that light.
  11. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

Limp home mode for an Allison locks out all gears except 3rd and reverse.
  12. exmark1

That's what happened to him when he drove it back to the shop when it started, I didn't get a chance to stop into the shop today and see what they came up with
  13. samjr

samjr Senior Member

I got the samething going on

I took my truck to trans shop they said T-case i said nope but they rebild anyways.So they call and say we do not think we fixed it i LOL @ them.I told them its in the Differential in the back. 4X2 can feel it abit but when in 4X4 by pluck man can u feel and hear it:help: O an i got the 6.0 and 4L80E. Thats y i think we got the same problem just dif setups
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I am going to let it all ride on an NSB switch. It will be a black or tan colored box attached to the drivers side of the transmission. There will be two wiring harnesses and the shift linkage attached to it. They are under $100 and you can change it in you driveway with a 13MM socket and a 15MM box end wrench. I have had those boxes go out on more of the 5 speed Allisons then you will believe. When they go bad, the truck and the transmission are no longer on the same page.
  15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm betting on this one also. They can fix a million other parts and in the end it will be the NSB. If you feel like taking it in, shouldn't even be a $200 repair. Otherwise as stated, parts less than $100.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

An Nsbu switch does cause some funny symptoms. If the truck is stock I'd put my money on that also. B and B is right though you should get the codes read and go from there. Parts replacing gets pretty expensive.
  17. exmark1

Truck is totally stock to my knowledge, I have done nothing to it! The transmission had a low voltage code in it, the transmission guy is trying to tell me that the truck needs new batteries and that would correct the problem... The problem is we just had the truck looked over for winter and both batteries passed a load test at over 900 CCA with no issues and both are only a year old.

Any ideas if that code could work with what you guys are thinking? The truck is driving great now and I havent done anything to it yet
  18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Another vote for the NSBU. See if you have a local Detroit Allison dealer. IIRC my last one from there was like $45.
  19. White Duramax

White Duramax Junior Member

Like the others said, get an NSBU. They are known to act up when they get wet in snow/slush conditions.
  20. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

If NSBU goes bad, no codes are thrown. First time that it happened to me, it took me a couple of hours to figure out what went wrong, now I carry a spare on the service truck.