1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'02 2500 Chevy engine noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Hey guys..hope you are enjoying the "off" season.
    We have an '02 2500 Chevy here at work with the 6.0 Vortec 85K miles. It has always had the dreaded piston/wrist pin noise when cold. It goes away after 5 minutes.
    The other day I started it cold and there is a very loud ticking (almost what I would call rapping) coming from the engine. It sounds like a lifter but we just can't seem to gain any confidence in our diagnosis. We have pulled the valve covers of both sides and see nothing obvious. These are roller lifters correct? We've never had to take one apart here but it is obvious(??)that the heads have to come off to replace lifters. The noise is everywhere but definitely seems more pronounced when I put the stethoscope on the valley cover under the injection plenum. We drained the oil. No metal or pieces to speak of other than some black "stuff" that looked fibrous. It sounds like a cracked flexplate too but we pulled the converter back as far as we could and don't see any cracks. Any words of wisdom from you experts???

Motorman 007
  2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Is this a new noise over and above what it has been doing? Does it continue to do it after it has warmed up or is this just a cold noise as well? Does it sound like it matches crank speed or valve speed? (remember valve speed is half that of crank speed..) Any codes? Had you done anything just prior to the louder noise? (swapped out parts or serviced it?) More info will be helpful.
  3. Yes it is a new noise that started all of a sudden. It does it all the time, cold or hot. It sounds to me like it matches valve speed. The only code is crankshaft sensor low voltage. I inspected the crankshaft sensor when we had the plenum off. Not broken and looked fine. Nothing done recently to the truck. Thanks for the reply and I hope someone has some ideas.
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Any change in oil pressure?? Plugged filter?, warn bearings?, thin oil?, broken exhaust manifold bolt? I would try some heavier oil. I run 15W50 synthetic in my Tahoe 5.3 year round and napa gold filters. Had a fram on it when I bought it and watched my oil pressure drop as I continued to drive it to the next oil change. Changed out the Fram and put in some heavier oil like stated above, oil pressure it good again. I'd start there.
  5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

After re-reading your original post, did you swap out the oil filter when you drained the oil? The only "fibrous" material i could think of is the filter either collapsing or coming apart.

And visually inspecting a crank sensor does not verify that it is good. A visual inspection of an electrical component does nothing but tell you the part is not missing. Not saying its your issue, just keep that in mind for the future! :D