1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02' 2500 bushings?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by daway101, Jun 9, 2008.

1. daway101

daway101 Junior Member

I have a 2002 chevy 2500 and my mechanic told me that the upper and lower bushings/bearings? on both sides are bad.

I removed both front tires to see what he was talking about and he is right about the bushings. I'm just not sure what it's called because he quoted me $700 to replace both sides, and that just doesn't sound right.

I had another mechanic replace the exact same thing on a '92 dakota I had before this truck and I helped him do it and it took no time at all. The parts were not that expensive either.

What I'm wanting to know is if I have a impact wrench, would I be able to do this myself or are there special tools that I need to maintain the tension on the bar that goes from one side of the truck to the other?

Any advise would be great. I don't have $700 to spend now or in the near future and the mech. says it would be detrimental if I don't change them.

There should be a picture of the part I'm talking about in this post, but I won't be sure until I hit the submit button.

pic from truck1.JPG
  2. daway101

daway101 Junior Member

another pic

Here is another pic that might be better.

pic from truck.JPG
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The items in your pics are the sway bar end links (with their respective bushings) Stephen, not the control arm bushings. Which is more than likely what you mechanic is referring too judging on the price quote he gave you since changing control arm bushings is a major job that requires complete front suspension disassembly.

It also requires several specific tools to do the job correctly as well as safely. A torsion bar unloading tool and a good C-frame press and the necessary bushing/press adapters are needed to press out and re install the replacement bushings. Not really something you could call a driveway job.

Here's an image of the control arm bushing locations for reference:

4. daway101

daway101 Junior Member

I just inspected the upper and lower control arm bushing on both side and they look fine. There isn't even any cracking or dry rotting going on there. I bet he was just saying that the bushings were bad and then was going to change the sway bar end link. I wouldn't put it pass this guy. I don't usually use him but my normal Mech. moved.

So are the sway bar end links something I could do? I'm tired of the rattling.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

sway bar end link's are doable guy try them first ,i cant believe the upper and lower control arm bushing's are gone already .:) i know all truck's and driving condition's are different .i have a 01 2500hd they are fine .you can alway's get a 52nd opinion on the control arm bushing's but i am with b&b they would be a major job !
  6. daway101

daway101 Junior Member

The truck has 188K on it and before I owned it, it was a logger's truck. But you are right the control arm bushings are fine from what I can tell.

Thank you both for your speedy replies. I will change the end links and let you know what happens.

7. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

What was the reason for taking it in to be looked at in the first place, or was it just something he noticed was bad while preforming other work?

My second question is you didn't even know what a control arm bushing was, but based on your visual inspection you knew that they are not bad. Maybe take it some where else and get a 2nd opinion.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like the other guys mentioned you can do the SB end links a lot easier than the C-arm bushings. You will need to cut the old one apart in order to remove them as they're designed as a one time use deal. Air saw works good but so will a torch.

So this all became because you have a rattle? If the SB end links aren't physically broken or the bushings on them aren't missing, they'll seldom cause a rattle on these trucks. A far more common cause for the rattle is either the front upper shock bushings being loose or worn and also the rubber isolators on the front of the REAR leaf springs missing/damaged which will cause a rattle or "clank" on virtually every bump. A less common but still likely possibility is the bushings on the sway bar where it attachés to the frame. Might want to take a look at those areas specifically...especially with the kind of miles your truck has on it.
  9. daway101

daway101 Junior Member

I ride with my windows down alot (smoker). In town I can hear just a light rattle. Like you said "the bushings on the sway bar where it attachés to the frame." The bushing is not there on the drivers side. When I shook it, it sounded just like the rattle I had been hearing lately. It's not a loud rattle, I'm just easily anoyed by sounds when driving. Don't get me started on styrofoam coolers in the back seat.:)

As for your comment "hammerstein".
    When I post on forums like this I always try to sound more ignorant about my situation than I really am. I actually do know what good bushings and bad bushings look like. What I didn't know was exactly what the "control arm" was called especially since that mechanic was trying to screw me over and told me they were bad when I could clearly see that they were not and that something else was. I therefore posted with a hint of ignorance to get more thorough information with out having to spend the next two days trying to clarify myself to all the repliers. I don't mean to sound like an ass, just trying to explain myself.

With that being said, I will answer your first and very legitimate question.
    I took my truck in to have the rotors turned and replace the fuel filter.

The former owner took great care of the engine as far as oil, filter and air filter changes, but dind't give much care to the body or suspension.

thanks guys
  10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

sway bar end links 30 minute job max. I did them on a 2000 2500 once and they were a lot worse than the ones in your photos the one side it was completely missing.
  11. daway101

daway101 Junior Member

Can I jack up the truck one side at a time, or do I need to support both sides? I'm thinking of possible added tension with the vehicle leaning to one side. I also have ramps that I use when changing the oil, Could I use those or do the wheels need to be unsupported?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Raise the truck with a jack. And be sure to jack up BOTH sides at the same time and place the stands under the frame to allow the suspension to "hang free". If you only raise one side your going to put considerable tension on the one thing you need to work on...namely the sway bar.

With the truck in this position (rather than in ramps) you can turn the wheels left and right to access the end links as necessary-making tire removal unnecessary. :)
  13. daway101

daway101 Junior Member

Thank you B&B, that is exactly what I needed to know.

14. 86-1Ton

86-1Ton Junior Member

check control arm bushings...

jack your truck up, and get a relatively long pipe/crow bar that will fit in between the frame and the control arm... move it side to side, up and down... if there's movement there's a problem... it's much similar to checking ball joints...