1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 1 ton duramax tow/haul??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bossplowguy, Jul 30, 2008.

1. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

I recently purchased a 02 duramax with the allison trans, besides my s1900 IH it is the only automatic vehicle I have ever owned. Is it really important to use the tow/haul when you are doing just that? Or if I leave it on regular will it screw the trans up? thanks
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The T/H in the Allison is a bit different from the other GM transmissions in that it can be very aggressive if your using it under light load or unnecessary conditions...

In other words, unless the truck is loaded to 75% of the GVWR capacity or more, don't bother to use it (this is actually what GM recommends).

Stop & go traffic it's also unnecessary as using the T/H in these conditions can actually BUILD heat in the trans.

But running it in T/H at any time (loaded or empty) won't hurt in any way. Use it when you need it.
  3. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

ok, thanks much b&b