1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 yukon e-brake not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by obrut, Sep 5, 2009.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I just changed all of the rotors and pads on my wifes 01 yukon. I also bought new e-brake shoes because the e-brake would go to the floor and not stop the truck from moving. Even with the new shoes the e-brake is still weak and I can push the petal to the floor. I changed the adjuster when I put the shoes on and thought I had them adjusted right. I did a search on google and it seems like this is a common problem. Anyone have any tips on how to make these work right?

I also noticed that when the e brake pedal is pushed down there is no light on the dash saying the e-brake is on, is that normal?

Tim

2. haejinjoe

haejinjoe Junior Member

If your e-brake cables are still attached on both sides at the rear wheels, then the likely problem with the e-brakes would be the adjustment of the star wheels on one or both sides under the rotors. The amount of adjustment to the star wheel should be so that the e-brake shoes have a very slight drag on the "drum" portion of the rotor when you turn it by hand. You should not have to force the rotor onto the hub, however. I'm not 100 % sure, but I think the adjustment of the star wheel is manual, not self-adjusting like a typical drum brake.

No it is not normal that the brake light is off with the pedal engaged. There is a switch on the e-brake pedal mechanism which grounds when the pedal is pushed therefore turning on the light. This switch sometimes fails.

Good luck adjusting!
    AverageJoe

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

should be an adjuster on driverside of truck where the three cables meet. Take out any slack in the cables

4. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

the cable is tight, the shoes were shot and so were the rotors, I replaced the rotors and shoes but what is the updated clip that holds the shoes? I can't find a picture of it or how its installed.

5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

The clip is about 2" long and holds the shoe to the backing plate. Its longer then the stock clip to hold the shoe better kepp it from moving around.should not affect new shoes.If the cables are tight and the star wheel on the shoes is adjusted properly. I would look into the cables being rusted

6. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

the cables actually look great and move free, I think I need to adjust the shoes more. I was reading that these emergency brakes are problems on the 1/2ton trucks and suvs in the early 2000 years. I just wasn't sure if the clip that came with the shoes is the new style to prevent the premature ware on the shoes.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The early E-brakes are well known to be less than fun to first make operate correctly, and also stay in adjustment. Very sub standard design to say the least.

They need every single bit of slack or clearance remove from the system to work effectively or at all. When making adjustments be sure you fully adjust the shoes FIRST. And you want virutally no clearance between the shoe and rotor. You should be able to hear the shoe dragging slightly on the rotor when it's properly adjusted.

Then go for the cables adjusting them up until you feel a little additinal drag on the wheels, then back the adjustment off just slightly. Should then work as intended...at least for a while. :rolleyes:

Don't be concerned with the clips, if yours were in good shape the updated ones are no advantage and won't help in it's operation.