1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 yukom front end binding

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by obrut, Dec 7, 2009.

1. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

01 yukon front end binding

So i used the 4x4 in my wifes yukon today and I'm getting a binding when I turn, not the normal steering tight, binding when on dry pavement in 4x4. The binding happens when I'm turning and in 4x4 or AWD on dry, wet or snow. If I drive straight in 4x4 or AWD it does not do it. Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I just check the transfer case fluid, this has the 246EAU that should have that smurf fluid(autotrac II?) but the fluid almost looks clear. I wounder if this has the wrong fluid and is causing the 4hi/awd clutch inside the transfer case to shudder?
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not that uncommon after a long period of lack of use such as over an an entire summer for it to be stiff in auto 4X4 but if it has some miles on it then a T-case drain and refill should be high on your priority list. Be sure to use the Autotrack fluid, there is no substitute.

May take some use before the fresh fluid works its way through the clutch pack but before long you should see a noticeable improvement.

Of course it won't stop the stiffness in 4Hi, as that we'll assume you're aware of is normal.
  4. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

id say check the transfer case fluid thats y i hate autotrac its not cheap to replace fluid but its a must also check the fluid in the front diff
  5. obrut

obrut Senior Member
    from IL

I changed the fluid out last week, and it seems to be better.
  6. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

ok i had a 02 yukon with 317k on it and i was having the same problem it started out binding then clunking it ended up being the driverside axle bearings the parts were cheap but a time consuming fix
  7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I noticed the same thing on my truck last week. It doesn't seem as bad now as it did then. I did notice today that with the plow off, it only binds on sharp turns which I try not to do in 4x4. Wanted to test it though. With the plow on, it doesn't take a very sharp turn at all to bind. I'll change the fluids and check everything else out next week.