1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'01 Suburban hard starting in cold weather...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My Dad has mentioned that he's having some trouble getting our '01 Chevy Suburban 1500 with 5.3L V8 engine, 145,000 miles on it started in cold weather. When it's below around 20*, he has a tough time getting it started. The only way he can get it going is to crank it some, then let off the key (into the "run" position), and usually (with his fingers crossed), it will start to catch, fire, and run rough and at a very low idle (at around 400RPM's), until it warms up, 10-15 mins later... If he keeps cranking it- it won't fire at all.

Engine has recently (within last 25K miles) had new wires+ plugs, and fuel filter. CEL is not on at this time...

Once it's warmed up (or is warm outside) it starts up and runs great!

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sticking/dirty IAC valve (temp related), a failed coolant temp sensor, or a bad FP regular would be my first checks Matt. If you can get a scanner on it you may find a few codes to lead you down the right track.

Don't forget to clean the MAF and TB while you're in there if it's been a while.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Thanks- I'll take a look at it this weekend. I cleaned the MAF this past fall (when I did it to my truck), but will look into the rest of those items.