1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 Silverado 1500 - Bumper Cut ?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by CRU1966, Nov 17, 2011.

1. CRU1966

CRU1966 Junior Member
    from Midwest

I'm a newbie here and have a question about installation. I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 with 5.3 engine. I just bought a Fisher HT plow from a dealer and after I got home with the plow, I noticed they cut the lower valance (bumper) where the tow hooks were for the mounting bracket. I'm a little pissed since they didn't tell me they were going to cut my bumper plus where are my tow hooks now? Had I known, I would've told them to just leave the valance off instead of cutting it. Now the valance flops around where they cut it.

Is there a way for them to install the mount without cutting my bumper - like below the bumper? Shouldn't they have told me before they cut it? Anyone who has a Silverado, can you post some pictures of your truck showing the mount/bumper - I'm curious to see other installations.

2. Yup...it sucks but there's no way around it. Every one of us GM owners had to do it.
  3. LON

LON Senior Member

4. clc2007

clc2007 Member

Lost my hooks and had to trim my valance on my 2000 gmc 2500 but i cut it so it fit tight on the mout and i have a curtis. Its the only way they can be mounted. But if done right it still looks good
  5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never seen a truck with a fisher that didn't have the valance trimmed.They should have your tow hooks.The bolt holes that hold the tow hooks on are now holding your push plates on.I installed my plow and the tow hooks are sitting under the workbench.Here are some pictures of what my 06 2500HD looks like.
  6. DannyboyUpstate

DannyboyUpstate Junior Member

Just cut mine tonight. Cest la vie
  7. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Had mine installed yesterday but on the newer silverados. least on my 2011, I got to keep my tow hooks. Did you really not do any research to how the plow was going to mount? Even in the quickmatch it says, bumper notching is required. Thats part of being a plow guy. Where the mounts with pride! :salute:
  8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

You can either cut the valence or take it off. I've seen both and I'd cut it in a second. It always looks wrong without it there, like the truck just had a minor accident or something.

The installer has your hooks, call him if you want them back...they're yours...maybe can get $10 for em.
  9. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Its for this very reason I'm thinking of finding a used 2500 as a plow truck will this same process have to be done for my 2000 Silverado?
  10. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Have you read this thread ? If your 2000 Silverado is a GM Silverado YOU NEED TO TRIM THE VAVANCE. So will your used 2500 you thinking of buying.
  11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive don't many 2500 that I did not cut It just pushes on the valence I will take pics next time I do one It will distort it over time I leave it up to the customer.And on the 08 and up I just trim the underneath of the valence you cant even tell it was trimmed at all.
  12. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

the only way to get around cutting it is to put a body lift in the truck. and use the bumper relocate brackets that come with kit. added advantage is the plow lights take less vision away.
  13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Its a Chevy, it needs to be cut. Gotta wear the mounts with pride, not anger.
  14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I will take pics on the next one I do without cutting.