1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 S10 brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Got a question. I am doing my friend's brakes today on her 01 S10 2wd. I have never taken the front rotors off of a 2 wheel drive truck. It does have the 4.3 if that makes any difference. What should I be expecting when I get in there to remove them?? And how much of a PITA will it be?? I want to know before I jump into it and not really know what to do. Thanks guys:waving:
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

They are alike to old GM truck with solid axle that you need apart whole hub to get rotor out.

And If I were you Get new wheel bearing they use crap plastic wheel bearing. They are worn out when you remove.
  3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I assume you got this?
  4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

It's really not that bad. First thing is to make sure you get at least new grease seals as well as brake parts. It's not a bad idea to get new bearings too but not neccassary if the existing ones are still good. In the middle of the rotor, on the end of the spindle there will be a dust cap. Take a small chisel or screwdriver and pop it off. There will be a large nut covered in grease behind it. Somewher along the nut will be a cotter pin through the middle of it. Remove the cotter pin first and then remove the nut. behind the nut there will be a washer and a bearing. Pull them both out. Next remove the brake caliper. remove the brake pads and push back the caliper, a large c-clamp usually works pretty good for this. Next pull off the rotor, on the back side there will be a grease seal and a bearing. If these do not come out easily put the rotor back on the spindle and thread the nut back on a couple turns. Pull the rotor off with some good force and this will usually pull the grease seal and bearing out. Install is just the reverse. Couple words of caution: Pay attention to which way the old grease seal is installed, the new one must be installed the same way. Clean out the old grease and pack the bearings with a good high temp high pressure packing grease. Good luck! Let me know if you need any more.
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yep got er done. Was a slight PITA, but wasnt as horrible as expected. Thanks for the help:waving: