1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01" Rear brake pad removal ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by HEStufrthnnails, Oct 30, 2011.

1. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Well, the title explains it all. I'm trying to get the pads of my o1' gasser with no idea of how to remove the pads from the caliper. They are different than any other I've come across. But this also is the only truck I've ever had with rear disc brakes to. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Brad

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

once the caliper is out they should just slide out, maybe they are rusted in.

3. HEStufrthnnails

Hi Dave, Thanks for the advice. I went out and realized to separate the caliper and the bracket( mounting bracket) and then those little slide clips.Then they did fall right out. So tomorrow off to the part store to buy those clips and hopefully back together. What had happened, is the rotor split in two.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget the shoes for the e brakes on the inside if the rear rotors....

5. HEStufrthnnails

Thank you for the tip. They do look good. Now on those spring clips can I just drive them back in or how do I put them back in ?

6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

You may have to clean those clips up with a wire wheel, I used some special brake lube on them when I put it all back together. For some reason those things like to seize up. Make sure you clean the caliper grooves also, I used a wire wheel on a grinder too.

7. HEStufrthnnails

Thanks Dave, Well I did a number on those clips.Lol So I went up to the parts store and bought a hardware kit. It wasn't to expensive 3-4$,but thanks for letting me know you can re-use them. I thoght I had to replace them .

8. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I had serious thoughts about not putting any back in, my 1985 cj7 jeep doesn't have chrome clips in the calipers and they never froze up! I guess they do it so they don't rattle but heck, for years that was a trademark of Dodge, the front brakes would always rattle...LOL