1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 ford 550 7.3 diesel - battery charging light on?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Nov 30, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok little help please

as stated 2001 ford 550 7.3 diesel , just installed a western ultra mount on it today, plow works perfect.

we did leave the lights on for a bit while doing some testing, not sure how old the batteries are but they look newer

restarted the truck - cranked and started like normal....but battery "indicator light " is on? now the battery "voltage gauge" is a little above dead center which to me appears good. around 14 volts

step on the gas, and the light goes off. let off the gas and the light comes on. i took it for a 2 block drive the light went off ans stayed off for a good amount of time, but did come back on after i left it idle for 15 mins.

is this a ford thing ? where the voltage gauge reads fine, but the indicator light comes on? i just find it hard to think we installed a plow and all of a sudden now i need an alternator? is it possible the new solinoid has a short in it?

2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

check all your battery connections and make sure that they are good, and tight. It very well could be a coincidence that you lost a battery or alternator

3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

go to a parts store, they will test alt and batt for free. so you dont have to guess.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well i didnt have time to get to the parts store, but if any one else has any ideas please chime in

here is what we did today,

as it was yesterday, we drove it for 15 mins- light went off, idle the truck for 5 mins, light came back on

disconnected all snow plow power wires including the solinoid - at first the light was on, we drove it 15 mins, light went off and STAYED OFF while idleing for around 20 mins, at that poitn we shut down the truck

had to do some more wiring work today on this truck - hooked plow back up, hmmm light cam on again while at idle.

disonnected drivers batter, restarted truck - same issue
    dissconnected pass battery and snow plow again - same issue,.

note truck starts perfect on both, pass and driver batteries - i didnt notice any difference

with plow disconnect, (both batteries connect) went for a drive, light stayed off, untill we got home and parked the truck...while idle , light came back on

so im thinking alternator? i know im thinking too much into this but strange that the day i decide to install a plow the alternator goes bad...

5. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

The extra strain of the pump and lights and ended the life of many an alternator, Make sure that you get a heavy duty one when you replace it. Also check the fusible link that comes form the alt to the solenoid, the link can go bad and cause that problem, check it and you probably will see corrosion, if so cut it out and replace it. Make sure to use dielectric grease and heat shrink to cover it.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Better yet find a good quality shop that diagnoses and rebuilds in house.