1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 F350 - too much front weight w/ plow?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by J_Kleve, Oct 10, 2007.

1. J_Kleve

J_Kleve Junior Member

I've got a 8.5 ft Meyer Diamond and when the plow is up the front drives on the truck. Maybe I'm just use to the F550, but it seems a little too much. I don't have the snow plow package but I've got the tow package (6k gvw if I recall). It's a 5.4 gas.

Has anyone added air bags or extra leafs to the front? Do you think its necessary?

The truck is used for driveways, alleys and some small commercial lots.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Look on the drivers door jamb and see what the front end is rated for and go from there. My F250 carries a Snoway 8 1/2' V Plow with no problems.

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Save your money and throw 500# in the bed over the axle and` don't look bvack.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

front end

you need a min 5200 lb front gross axle weight rating,unless it's real light and you have a lot of obstacle's ,flat ground should be ok with ballast .or add a leaf to the front or timbren load booster's

5. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

8.5' plow on an F150! Way to much. After 96 the F150's front ends were not as beefy (not that the pre 97's were all that beefy either.) And on the pre 97's you can't put anything bigger than a 7.5' and even that is pushing it in some peoples opinion.

6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

You need about 500lbs balast behind the back axle. This will solve you problems.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Except when backing.

:dizzy: :dizzy: He said an '01 F350, not 150. Guess that 8'2" Boss V on my 1500 has been way too much for the past 11 seasons.

Shouldn't be too much. I have an '00 350 with an 8'6" Fisher V and an '02 with a Blizzard 8611LP. Did add a leaf to the '02 because the LP is a heavy plow.

:dizzy: :dizzy:

Not really sure what the question is, though. Are you saying that your 550 is smoother than the 350 with the plow? What year is your 550? If it has the new coil springs, yes it does and always will ride nicer than a leaf spring 350, same thing happens with my trucks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  8. J_Kleve

J_Kleve Junior Member

It was a newer 550, I was referring just to the amount of dive the truck has when lifting the plow. That one had a 10 footer on it and there was almost no dive. I was trying to put into proportion to the amount of dive my 1 ton has.

My truck has a tommy gate on the back, that's a solid 600 LBS, so I should be fine. I'll double check the tag in the door - but the thing seems to have every other 'heavy duty' feature.

9. Mark Oomkes

OK, thanks for clarifying. Sometimes it's the little voices that mess me up.

Anyways, no it shouldn't be diving that much, but the springs on a 350 are weaker than 550 so you will have more sag\dive even with a smaller plow than a 550. My 550 with 8611 drops about 1 1/2", that's a 1500# plow and the 350 would drop more than that with the LP a 1000# plow. So I added a leaf. They weren't worn out, just needed some help. Maybe yours are tired, maybe they can be rearched, not sure. But an 8.5 Meyer is not too much plow for that truck, especially with the 5.4. Mine all have diesels and are fine.

Heck, maybe Ford didn't put the right springs in even if it did have the plow prep. They've screwed up before, it's just some guy on a line installing springs, could have grabbed the wrong ones, someone might have marked the spring pack wrong, who knows.

10. J_Kleve

J_Kleve Junior Member

The truck does have 106k on it. I thought it was odd because there was 2(?) springs in the stack. It seemed light. I'll check to see how much the truck is dropping but I bet it was 2-2.5".

11. Mark Oomkes

Yeah, my diesel only had 2 springs up front too. And it has the plow prep, plus diesel. I also added Timbrens. The extra leaf leveled it out too.

12. PLOWTIME

PLOWTIME Junior Member
    from ct

I have a 99 f 250 with a 9ft fisher. I put in a tuff country 3.5" leveling kit and the front end only drops a 1/2" with no ballast.

13. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Doh!:drinkup:

14. midnightrodeo

midnightrodeo Junior Member

I HAVE AN 04' F-350 AND I PUT F-550 SPRIGS UNDER THE FRONT OF IT AND IT SURE HELPED IT HOLD THE WEIGHT OF THE PLOW. ALSO HAVE A 05' F-350 W/ BOSS V-PLOW W/ F-550 SPRINGS IN THE FRONT AND IT WORKS GREAT TOO!

15. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

swing low

i think air lift make's air bag kit's for the front if they clear the mount kit !

16. earl964

earl964 Member

I had the same problem . I have a 350 diesel I ended up putting a extra spring in the front and it maid a big difference

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

beef up the front springs

18. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

19. natureguy

natureguy Junior Member
    from indiana

i have an 04 350 that i beefed the front springs on. i took an overload spring from the rear stack ( these can be purchased at the dealership for about a hundred bucks) and added it under the front leaf pack. i got about 2 inches of lift or leveling out of it and the nose of the truck only moves maybe an inch with the plow up. the overload spring is the high arched spring on top of the rear stack. just fyi. my overall ride is pretty stiff but it is solid when plowing. ALWAYS add weight to the bed so the front isn't doing all the work!!!!

20. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

Have you had any issues since adding that helper to the front leaf pack? i think i might try that.