1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 f 150

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ptllandscapeIL, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

ok a buddy of mines got a 2001 f 150 super cab 3600# front axel what do you guys have for me talkt o me plow i want a 7.5 ft for drive ways few apartment complexes and a few shopping centers

2. ptllandscapeIL

anyhelp guys

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

What is your ?

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, look at fisher, western, curtis, snoway, and blizzard 7.5 plows. All make a mount, all will suit the truck well. It depends on what dealers you have close by as well. Boss would be fine too. Truck will handle a plow fine, try to keep it in the 500-650 LB range. I have a 750 LB plow on my 2000 F-150 supercab with no problems, so any 7'5" you choose should be fine.

5. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

u are not going to plow anything comm. with a 500# plow to lightweight.The plow on my toro garden tractor is about 200#.150 are best suited for driveways that is why they PERSONAL PLOWS for them.Comm. plowing u need a hd front axle,trans,rearend.That 150 with a plow on the front a driver full tank of fuel,snowblower,shovels,some sand or salt for balast and u will be overweight

6. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Check out the other thread poosted about a 2002 F150 Supercrew. Same applies.

There are many misleading things about the F150. One is that they introduced the 2000 models as "plowing capable". Thats only because they discontinued the light duty F250 and rebadged it as the F150 7700 package. This package has 7 lug wheels, heavier frontend components, the larger 9.75 Sterling rear axle, the 4R100 tranny (found in the SDs) and heavier springs.

If I'm not mistaken CJ has stated before that his is the 7700 package.

After replacing ball joints and wheel bearings (pretty normal for 96K miles) on my F150, I think the regular 97-03 F150 is not a good plow vehicle. The frontend components are just too light to carry a plow. At best the frontend will see accelerated wear, and you'll be changing components every 20K rather than 100k.

This is just my opinion though. :)

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

No its not the best rig for commercial, but it will do the job for light commercial work. You don't have to get a personal plow, Fisher RD (Regular Duty) would be perfect for you. Some people are set in their ways and think an F-150 will fall apart, so let them think that, i can assure you that if you are careful, it will not. Don't get a "personal plow" get a good plow like the RD fisher for the work you are talking about.

Crashz
    Yes i do have the 7700 package, thats why the front end does not even drop with a 750 LB plow. You touch on some good points with the front end, but most newer F-150's seem to carry plows well even without the plow prep package. Iam sure it could cause some problems, but its nothing that would make me hesitate to put a plow on one. Just as long as you don't travel around with the plow on all winter you will be putting minimal extra stress on the front end.
    Just My Opinion :)

8. ptllandscapeIL

thanks,mybuddie is getting alot of response's from diffrent dealers,he was told to put the 7'4 suburbanite from western on there and also the LSX blade...question do they make a 7'4 suburbanite??????????