1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 e4od build

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselss, Aug 1, 2014.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

01 e4od on my new diesel. About 178...,on tbe odo. Unknown history. Trying to do this on a budget. But what's a good starting place to make this a good trans that I don't have to worry about while plowing. And fyi this is my first auto plow trk in about 8 years. The company has gm so I have a good idea of them but not in the ford relm. Remember not looking for massively expensive. In the back of my head is always the stick conversion

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

97 was the last year for the e4od. your 01 likely has a 4R100. similiar transmissions, but differences definetly exist.

3. dieselss

Ok. So any hints or tips?

4. linckeil

from CT

i dont know the 4r100 trans, but a good tip before talking to anyone about how to beef up a trans is to first know which one you got.

5. dieselss

It's my first auto trans since 98. And my first ford auto ever. Lighten up Francis

6. linckeil

from CT

thats cool, i'm just saying ford did not use the e4od in 2001. i could have let you go on thinking it was the e4od, but instead i pointed out a simple error that would have otherwise caused you a bunch of headaches - then you go and get your panties in a bunch because of it. go figure.

we all make mistakes - don't loose any sleep over it champ.

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You sure its not a column shift?

8. dieselss

Yes actually it is. Still getting used to only 2 pedals

9. 1olddogtwo

Well ur off to a good start....lol

10. linckeil

from CT

this was actually pretty funny, but i think the joke was missed.

11. dieselss

No not really. I got it

12. 1olddogtwo

Beetlejuice

13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Put a trans temp gauge in it, preferably not in the pan as that stays cooler. I put them in the hot line out to the oil cooler. That way you know how hot it really is. Heat kills them. Other than that I can not help with a Ford.

14. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the 4R100 and the E4OD are basically the same trans, just minor differences.
    the 4R100 is a good trans that will last damn near forever as long as it is maintained.
    fluid and filter change every 30-35k miles, a good cooler, and keep an eye on the trans temp and it will last forever.

15. dieselss

Ok. No shift kit? No converter? None of that jazz?

16. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Upgrade the oil cooler, do a shift kit, toss in a better torque converter if you want to go that far. She'll handle plenty of power and work with that for a long time. If it's on the way out there are some solid rebuild kits out there and companies like BTS who basically make a trans that will be warrantied for life and handle 1000hp.

17. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I wouldn't add a shift kit and convertor on a 176k mile trans. If it goes out next week after putting shift kit in you'll need another convertor

18. dieselss

That's half my delima. Not knowing.history and not wanting to dump a ton of money into it.

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Only thing I have run into with 4r100's is the valves sticking. There is a rebuild kit or have a tranny shop rebuild them for you, not too expensive. Most of the diesels with the 4r100 require Mercon V fluid. I got 198k on my 4r100, rebuilt valve bodies right around 190k. Still going strong and truck is only used for plowing, towing or hauling.

20. dieselss

Thx kimber. Like I Saud only been around gms and there reverse bands braking all the time