1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 duramax purchase

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by yearground, Jan 27, 2009.

1. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Got a chance for an 01 sierra 4x4 reg cab duramax with a blizzard 810. As for the blade, it's orig. and still has most of the paint and decals on it. Gives me insight into use. The truck has 65k miles on it, is in very good condition, and just had ALL brakes, front end, and hubs done. I can buy it with a safety but have been scared off it by some guys I know. They say it will without a doubt have injector issues, etc since it hasn't yet (checked vin @ GM) The truck is clean and I want it but needs some convincing. Is it all HYPE about the injectors? Should I worry if I'm on a limited budget? Looking for anyone that knows them to donate $0.02 to my query.
    Thanks,
    Ted
    ps it's 10K canadian which seems good to me

2. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

post up a pic if you can. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that truck for that price. There is a chance the injectors will go out but they are still covered under a special warranty. Chances are if it's lasted this long without problems you might not have to worry about it. There is always risk in buying used equipment but I would probably just buy it.

3. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Injectors are covered by a 7 year, 200 or so thousand miles. They're over 500 bucks each here.

GMC2500 Front.jpg

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Even if you go over the 7 years, as long as you are under 200k you really could complain enough to get them to at least split the cost with you. I wouldn't sweat the injectors. Looks like a nice truck. I'd buy it for the right price.

5. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

Anyone know who I could squawk to in CANADA? GM dealership here sorta chuckled...
    I'd really like to hear from a vet. GM wrench.

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like a good deal to me plunk your money down and take your chancestymusic:waving:

7. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

after seeing the pic, I really think you should buy it. That seems like a steal for that truck. It has low miles and all the front end is new plus a plow and dump bed. I'd be tempted to come up to Canada to get it if you don't want it.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm with Schwinn-jump on it. If you pass, let me know. Maybe I missed it, but is the dump insert included too?

9. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Get it man. Head gaskets are an issue, usually once you're at 120k miles or more. My 02 has 335km on it now to give you an idea of durability. Also, LOOK AT THE TRANSFER CASE!! IT MAY HAVE THE "PUMP RUB" ISSUE!! It happened to me and wasn't pretty. Search it. For 10 grand I'd buy it.

EDIT: Holy crap I didn't even see the dump bed! BUY IT!

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Head gaskets were pretty much 01's only so you're right. BUT, 65k? It would be the last thing on my mind. Usually not an issue untill 200k plus and ONLY if the coolant wasn't maintained properly. I have 1 under the knife now with 253k and sludge for coolant. Flush it like you're supposed to, losing the junk dexcool wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Also true on the pump rub, but I've had 6 and not a single one with the problem (knock on wood!)

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont turn it up. Most people have issue becuase controler boxes raise pressure. i would worry much about Injectors just run some fppf in it. This tuff is like 10 a bottle. I get it at Fleet Pride

http://www.fppf.com/dieselpowerteam.asp

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  12. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

What is the front axle rating on your 2500's. Did you special order the plow package? The reason I ask is I am also looking at purchasing a 2500 D-max and have found that there is a problem with weight on the front axles once plows are installed. Ft axle rating on the one I am looking at is 2130 Kgs. The truck weighs in at 2000 kgs with no plow. Once plow is installed I would guess the frt. axle weight would be 2500 kgs. Around here guys are getting fines of upwards of 1500 bucks for being over weight on the front axle when plow is installed. Thanks. Any help is appreciated!

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Not true. It's actually proven to be the opposite. Stock trucks fail prematurely, those that have more fuel running through them don't.

No plow package available on Dmaxes, especially not Crew Cabs. I run a vplow on mine and my front axle weighs 5,640 with the plow up. It's rated 4,800lbs. I've done it for years.

14. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

My 01 came with plow prep, it's an ex cab. The 01s can handle heavier plows for some reason too. I have about 125,000 on mine now. I did the head gaskets at about 105,000. The injectors have never been a problem. I have altered my ecm from since around 110,000. I need a new tranny now, but that's no fault to the truck. I was getting on it pretty good with a heavy tune for a while.

15. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

yeah...dump box too...2 yd. hydraulic
    Gonna buy it tomorrow but am looking for some nay-sayers so I can get the new kitchen...please continue.........

GMC2500 Rear.jpg

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yeah, you shouldn't buy it.......instead, why don't you just give me the guys ph#?!?!?!? :D

17. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

You're trying to decide between this or a new kitchen? You aren't a dude are you? Only a chick would consider a new kitchen over this... :D How long will it take for the kitchen to pay for itself? How about the truck?

18. yearground

yearground Member
    from muskoka

kidding about the kitchen...she was standing over me as I typed.
    Test ride / push @ 11am. I was advised to run it hard and look for white smoke but is there not a test they can do to test the injectors?

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think its one hell of a good deal!

20. Kunker

Kunker Member

Dude if you don't buy the thing I'll be down next week, checkbook in hand.