1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 duramax good? bad?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bossplowguy, Jun 28, 2008.

1. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

I was thinking of replacing my 01 dodge 3/4 diesel with 177k miles with a 02 chevy 3500 equipped with central hydros plow and salter. I have heard there are injector problems with the dmax. The truck only has 71k miles on it but just wanted a little feedback on personal experiances. thanks

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Where's B& B when ya need him to answer a question?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:waving:

The 01's were kinda their own animal so to speak but it wouldn't stop me from buying one if the price was right. Would I give up a Cummins to buy it? Possibly, 177K isn't a problem for a Cummins...but is the truck itself as well as the rest of the drive train still in good condition? What specifically is the reason your considering swapping? Just a question of mileage?

The well know main issue on the earlier gen D-Max/Allison combos were as you mentioned, the Bosh manufactured injectors. And also an occasional injector harness which should have been taken care of on a truck of this age with a TSB by now. Also a couple TSB's for the #3 and #5 cam bearings turning out of alignment with their respective oil passages, restricting oil supply to the turbo and wiping the turbo out. Only real issue with the Allison on the pre '03 trucks was the valve in the pump causing a no drive condition if the truck was allowed to set for a period of time. Doesn't cause any actual damage though, more of an annoyance than anything...and the updated parts have been around for years.

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Don't forget the NSBU(think those are the right letters) switch on the side of the transmission. On thing to mention about the injectors is that GM extended the warranty on those to 200K miles.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But don't forget there is also a time limit of 7 years on the extended injector warranty...which this truck would be either over on, or very close to.

I didn't mention the NSBU as I replace way less of them on the '01's vs the '02-'04 trucks. Can't really say why as they used the exact same switch originally.

Just personal experiences.

6. bossplowguy

I guess because my truck is going to start needing things like tires, the tranny syncros are starting to wear pretty good and causing grinding, the front end is in need of some parts. I never ever drove anything but a dodge....but I kinda liked the d-max, and it's milage is low and nicely equipped. I just talked to the dealer again today and they said all 8 injectors were replaced at 50,000, along with a injection pump and some other fuel related stuff. Thats the part that kinda scares me, I have had 7 dodge diesels and never really had much problems. So this is why I keep questioning my decision. The dealer is only giving me 8,600 for my truck (no plow). The chev comes with a 9' ultra mount central hyd, a bonnell tailgate salter and a air flow 10' dump. They want my truck and 11,300. I don't know if i am getting a "steal" but do know to set that 1 ton up like that is about 16k plus the truck. The truck was very well taken care of....I just don't wanna buy a money pit.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a decent buy for how the truck is equipped...

I wouldn't be so concerned with going from a Cummins to the D-Max as much as the fact that I'd also be going from a Boss vee to a Western straight blade.

They already informed you that the injectors were done at 50,000mi. Ask them for a warranty history printout on the truck so you can verify anything else that was done under warranty. Look for anything obvious (or major) and ask questions if you find anything.

And don't settle for "oh, we can't get that info". If they tell you that, walk away.

8. bossplowguy

ok...well thanks b&b you are very helpfull

Eric

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Good call on the injectors. I couldn't remember if it was 7 or 8 years on them. One nice thing about LB7s is that they seem to get the best mpg out of the factory of the 4 generations of DMax. Now if you want to have some fun look into EFI Live:D

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't get him started before he already has the truck. ;):D He's going to end up with a 12 second plow truck otherwise.

11. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

And the problem is?:D

12. MickiRig1

As long as he raises the plow before the green light drops on the drag strip tree he's fine.
    They would get mad if you tore up their drag strip with the plow.

13. bossplowguy

ok, well I took the plunge and bought it. It's actually an 02. The sending unit I think may be faulty....it's kind of intermittant. Anyone else have something like this happen?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Congrats on the purchase. An '02 is even better. :nod:

Fuel sender issues are a rather common problem on GM vehicles when they get a few years old, and have been for many years...dealer should take care of it for you unless you purchased "as is". Sender isn't tough to swap out if you end up having to do it yourself.

15. bossplowguy

well here it is. The dealer is being a pita, said they would sell me a sender at cost. Turns out the rear brakes were shot and had a bad u joint. I am going to call the manager on monday and see if he will just give me a sender, and since it is a c&c the pump is not in there...so it should be relatively cheap (I would think)

truck.jpg

16. MickiRig1

Nice looking truck. It's a good color too, anything but white is good.

17. bossplowguy

Well thanks. I haven't added any chrome yet. After I do I will post some more pics