1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 dodge trany and rear end problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rats5656, Feb 14, 2006.

1. rats5656

rats5656 Junior Member

i have 2001 8ft bed ext cab diesel 2500 dodge truck with a rebuilt tranny now it blew 2 months ago now this past thruday the rear blew for the 2nd time does this sound normal it has 100,000 miles on it just a baby i have easy dump insert in the bed and pull a 8*16 landscape trailer full of equimp? we use ele brakes kit .

can any one help me out !!!

i have some people say this truck is a lemon i have other say it just wear and tear from the easy dump and trailer i dont what to belive this anymore nothing but problems from day one brakes and tires every 10,000 miles so bad this stinks.

2. lumberjack49

lumberjack49 Junior Member
    from Mi

Just my .02 worth when my tranny went out on my truck I found that it was cheaper to go to the dealer and buy A create tranny less headache better warranty

3. rats5656

rats5656 Junior Member

the tranny we put back in was jasper with 3 year warrty and i forget :gunsfiring: that for the warrty maybe 25 or 50 or even 75 i forget

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If it has a trans cooler and it didn't get replaced replace it now unless you want another failure. If it's eating tires in 10K miles you're either buying cheap tires or not doing proper maintenance ie rotations/PSI checks/alignments/overloading.

5. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

As far as tires go, you are probably buying cheap tires that are not at the proper load range to support the weight of a trailer and EZ dump. Where in northern NJ are you located? Maybe Level 10 in Vernon or a place like that could help you out with a strong trans. Just my $.02

6. rats5656

rats5656 Junior Member

i was very heavy duty tires bf's@ one point very $$ there even a load range d or e ithink now cheap one

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

2500 trucks are spec d to have loade Range E tires- d are too weak for the load. Depending on the exact tire depends on it's quality and the suitibility for the job. BFG makes Snow/Mud tires that are only going to last 10K miles if used on pavement all year... (commercial T/A Traction). Check the treadwear rating on the tires you have and the estimated milage.
    What are you useing for brake pads? Cheap pads don't last, no matter how much you spend on them. Several local parts stores have they're lifetime pads and they wear out in no time, the more weight you're stoping the faster the brakes are wearing out- you should expect expect that they will wear much faster in a loaded dump hauling a trailer than an empty 2500 pickup.

Trans- probabily overheating, low on fluid, bands not adjusted, simple something that was overlooked. Has the engine been tweeked any? If so the tranny needs to be beefed to compensate. Add a deep/extra capacity oil pan on the tranny (it's interchangable with the A518 and 727), make sure the bands are adjusted and fluid changed regularly, and you're not driving around with the OD on hauling a trailer or a load in the bed. Turn the OD off in other words unless you're on the highway- the OD unit is expensive and wears out fast under normal daily driving especially under a working load.

Rear axle- only heard of a Spicer 70 dying from poor lube or mis adjustments. Leaking seals let water in or oil leak out- not changing axle lube, bearings loose, pinion out of adjustment, etc.

You may have a lemon....

8. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

i agree with justme.. I dont really hear to much of the rears going, and yours went twice in 100k.wow

9. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Jasper? Oh no! Do not buy Jasper! Bought one, paid extra for the extended warranty. Had it in 3 times before it had 10k miles on it. Finally went with 25k miles on it. I even had the tranny flushed every 10k miles or at the end of the winter if it didn't see 10k miles. This truck did not have a plow. It pulled the bobcat to plow, and maybe the 10-15 times per year the loader leaves our property. Otherwise it pulled a mowing trailer. Jasper would not warranty the tranny labor. Finally warrantied the tranny itself but only after taking it to another dealer 3 times. Lets see, six trips for the same problem. Did not warranty a problem complained about in year one and two. In year 3 of the warranty they finally replaced the tranny but weenied out of warranty on the labor because "there is no labor warranty in the third year". BS. I sold the truck with a new tranny while I could honestly tell the guy there was nothing wrong with the truck other than obvious wear and tear cosmetically. Just say NO to Jasper. As to your problems, I don't know how hard you are on equipment but it sounds like either lack of preventive maint or abuse. I could be wrong, but doesn't sound like typical wear to me. Maybe it is a lemon.

10. rats5656

rats5656 Junior Member

thanks for the replys sounds good keep it comingit sucks to a 2001 with 100,000 and dump so much money into. iam at the www.ICPI.org training this week

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

incidentally, another thread on this board in another forum made me think of this- if you bought this truck used you may be suffering from "previous owner abuse" Lots of people abuse their equipment knowledgible or ignorent of the fact (trying to plow 16 inches of snow in a single pass for example is abuse, hauling a 4 ton load in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is another). Sometimes they know they're abuseing the truck and don't care for one reason or another and sometimes they're not aware of what they're doing is abuse. (Maybe he didn't realize that 3 yard sander loaded weighed over 4 tons....)

You could be suffering the results from that kind of abuse. Do you know the truck is not being abused by your employees?

12. mullady76

mullady76 Junior Member
    from LI,NY

Let me start by saying that the Dodge 47re is a good tranny if built right. I would recommend getting an aftermarket built tranny and Torque converter rather then a factory replacement. Check out BD, DTT, ATA and a few other sites. As for a good shop in Northern NJ, check out Autowurks in Cadwell, NJ.

13. rats5656

rats5656 Junior Member

what i need is good rear diff i got price on used ins:cry: talled the works 1500.00do that sound fair ?