1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 Dodge squeekin

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by NoFearDeere, Nov 27, 2005.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My 2001 Dodge 1500 is making a squeeking sound when it is put into 4WD. It doesnt matter if it is being drove straight down he road or if the wheels are turned. Anyone have any ideas I would appreciate it.:confused:
  2. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

I've seen a few Dodges and Jeeps squek from the double-cardan joint in the front driveshaft. (Transfer case end).

There is a center pivot between the 2 u-joints, and that pivot has a boot around it. The boot tends to squeak.

Put it in 2wd. You should be able to spin the front driveshaft by hand. If the squeak does come from the boot, you can usually get some lube on it and quiet it down.
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

thanks ZR7 Ken. I will start with that.:waving: :waving:
  4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

did it work? Mine started doing that tonight....I replaced the front single joint this summer and didnt do the double joint....

RODHALL Senior Member

i think you best start looking at the u-joints...
    grease and run a mile or so in 4x grease again.