1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 Dodge Backfireing???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dodgeguy4x4, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Dodgeguy4x4

Dodgeguy4x4 Junior Member

Ya I have a 2001 dodge Ram 1500 off-road with the 5.9 liter 360 Gasser and it has about 80,000 mile on it and for the past couple of weeks ive been haveing problems with it Bogging down and backfireing through the Intake. It will do it for about 4-5 seconds while driving down the road then ill give it more gas and ill just take off. It also runs rough when i first start it and makes this real loud sucking sound. Ive Checked the fuel pressure and its good even when its acting up and have run plenty of fuel system and injector cleaner through it and it puts out no trouble codes. I just cant figure it out and it driveing me crazy!!!!:angry: Ive heard that the injectors need to be manual cleaned cause sometimes rust builds up. Took it to the dealer (under warrenty) and they cant seem to figure it out. They told me it wouldnt act up long enough to put the computer on it. So I was just wondering If anyone has heard about this happening or what i should do... Iam really frustrated seeing i just got the truck 5 months ago and have fixed a few things on it now. Next truck with be a DIESEL. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS and i LOVE this SITE!!!!

~Dane~

2. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

egr valve, engine starts to suck alllllot of air in right? then stops and does it again min or so later? i think it was running too rich.... and the engines computer trys to compensate for it and sucks in a ton of air

check around first....hook it up to a computer ( auto zone, etc.)

it happened to a friends 360 and that was why

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

An 01 won't have an EGR valve, they went out of the 360's in 95 I believe. I would do a full tune up cap/rotor/plugs/wires all that jazz and check the plenum.

4. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

o ya? i didnt know that- ignore my comment! hmm always soemthing to be learned

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I had a smiliar problem with my 2000 dodge at about 75 k miles. It needed new wires, cap and rotor

6. bigshortbox

bigshortbox Junior Member

most likely it is the wires ive seen it before

7. mr.plow 2

mr.plow 2 Member

mine did the same thing and i put new wires on it runs fine now xysport

8. Dodgeguy4x4

Dodgeguy4x4 Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas

Thanks alot of all the ideas i guess ill have to try doin the cap rotor and wires but i just did the plugs not to long ago so i think they will be ok. Iam prolly gonna go with the MSD 8.5mm plugs for it and an accel brass termal cap, Hopefully this helps things out.

ANYTHING ELSE I COULD TRY??? :redbounce

ANYONE HAVE ANYOTHER IDEAS OR HAVE HEARD OF THIS HAPPENING BEFORE???

Thanks ~Dane~ :salute:

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, I'll go the extreme situation. Burnt, bent or broken valve will cause ALL of the above. Odds are more to burnt or bent over broken, but they are a possibility.
    The timing slipping or slipped could cause the above or could cause a bent valve.
    The harmonic balancer could be bad- if it seperates from the rubber the timing can wander for the computer's pickup causing it to get really confused.

10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

A worn out timing chain will cause backfiring.