1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 cummins fan question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by wishingtoplow, Dec 2, 2010.

1. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

symptoms. while idling my headlights will dim for just a couple seconds then brighten back up. same with the blower fan. I started it tonight its about 25 out and my fan was running. Its not normal for it to be running like that all the time is it? What could this be? also when the lights dim my amp gauge hardly moves. thanks

2. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman Junior Member
    from S/E MI

Maybe this will help?

The Cummins uses a pair of 12 volt grid heaters in the intake tract
    (imagine two large toaster elements glowing bright red)
    that preheat incoming air for easier combustion.
    The Ford & Chevy use glow plugs inside the combustion chamber.
    As the relay cycles the grids on & off, the large amp draw causes the volt meter reading to drop, and the lights to dim when the relay turns on the juice.
    The relay timer will turn off the heaters when the intake temps hit a preset limit, or when the vehicle exceeds a preset MPH (usually between 15-25 mph).

3. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

That's the answer. Service manual says 16MPH!

4. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

should my fan be running though?

5. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

Maybe what you're hearing is your lift pump. Is the LP under the hood?

It may have been relocated down on the frame rail just in front of the fuel tank. Some had LP troubles and installed the replacement in the fuel tank. Even on the frame rail the LP is quite audible.

6. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

visually saw the fan running

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Which fan are you talking about??? Amp draw from the heating element is normal.

Your AC switch is not on is it??? This might cause the electric cooling fans to come on and will cause the AC clutch to cycle.

8. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

thanks for all your help I was talking about the engine fan

9. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

Partner, if your engine is idling your engine fan will be turning.

10. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I'm not certain, but if you are in a defrost mode, A/C runs and triggers the fan clutch to lock up intermittently.