1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'01 CTD w/oil seal leak

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Rangerman, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

I have a 3500 DRW CTD with a six speed manual and i am having trouble with the front oil seal leaking it stared as a slow leak but today my foreman said it was leaking at a customers house while they were vacuuming leaves. A. The truck has about 70000 miles is this normal. B. How hard is it going to be to replace can I do it in my shop or do the old boys at dodge get $350 Labor and probably two days of precious good leaf weather.:gunsfiring:

2. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

by front oil seal I assume you mean engine oil.If you do have you checked the oil blow by bucket.On some years chrysler put a little black bucket on the end of the blow by tube to keep the oil from leaking onto the ground.it is suppose to be emptied evey other oil change most people dont know its there and it over fills and looks like a crank seal leaking.

3. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

If its the seal on the front of the motor ( front gearcase cover seal)....take it to a shop!!!

on the 01 that is 13 hours book time @ the dealer....gotta pull, radiator, all accessorys on the front of the motor, water pump, loosen engine mounts, lift motor... its a pain.

had to have mine done last year...then a week later the water pump cause the tech rushed the reassembly.

4. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Could be a vacuum pump seal in which case there are kits available to replace the seal for under $100. Or do the whole pump for a couple hundred.

5. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I removed my bottle and extended the hose down. I have a DSS and have the hose wired to that. It really does a good job of keeping my radiator clean and the front of the engine clean. Now it helps to undercoat my truck.