1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 Chevy Trk...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Sep 19, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought an 01 2500 HD 6.0 115,000 + mi.in late Feb shortly after I bought it when I started it in the morning it clacked a way, sounded like a diesel trk.Months later I replaced the plugs which I found to be terrible ..I called a dealer they use a new plugAC-delco 41-985 gap at 0.40..Old plug type calls for 0.60 gap they were probably 0.70-80..It sounded much much better I run10-W30 oil manual say 5w30 or 10w30 .... The problem I still have is it is still kind of loud when I first start it up like loose rocker arms I know there are hydro lifters ...So the $98 dollar question is what do I need to do....Pull the covers off and a just or what ? ? ? ? Or what is wrong ? ? ? ? Thank You ! ! ! ! ! !

2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I am pretty sure that the earlier model 6.0's were very loud apon start up and that it was considered to be normal. An uncle of mine had an 01 and it did the same thing to him. The truck has 170k on it now and still sounds like a diesel at startup.

3. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

There was a big deal about "piston slap" in the Chevy engine. Google it and you can read up on it. My 8.1 does it too. I think the basic issue is these engine now have a lot of aluminum in them. Aluminum has a big expansion and contraction rate. When the engine is cold and started there is play in the parts, as the engine warms up everything expands and tightens up.

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I have had 3 Chevys in a row all do this. When it's real cold it sounds like a rod is comming through, when it's warm it smooth.

So far, no engine issues related to it.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The cold start rattle is completely normal and very well known (especially to GM themselves). And no harm will be caused by it. The 10W-30 is fine as well but do not go any heavier on the oil. The LS series engines are not designed to pump thick oil.

Closing the plug gap up to .040 was a wise move, congrats on your dealer for that info as prolongs coil and plug wire life and will usually add a slight amount of throttle response and idle smoothness in the process. It's a small win win modification.

The 41-985 is simply the superseded plug # for the current plugs.

6. RichG53

Thanks to all...I'm really HAPPY I found this web site...You GUYS & (GALS) are great...This is as good as having your own personal mechanic....Thanks again....

7. RichG53

I have noticed a little better MPH with the new plugs....I don't know if it was just the plugs or the gaping ...But there has been a difference....Also I will probably switch over to 5W30 oil for winter....

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

my truck goes tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, at idle. has sense i got it. i ignore it.