1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 3500hd 6.5 worth it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by durafish, Sep 6, 2012.

1. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

still on the search for another truck found this http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3211518129.html i think it will be pretty sweet with a stake body of some sort and a plow off the front. But the question is will it push with about 2500lbs on the back?

2. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

oh yes it will push, hang a 9 foot plow and some weight in the back and she will push great....i have the same truck....

3. durafish

from 02919

lol have any pic of the truck?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What makes you think it will NOT push with a ton on the back? You could pull 5 tons no sweat with that truck.

5. durafish

from 02919

Yea I guess it will do fine just got to think a little more. It will be in a parking lot the entire storm and there can't be a flake of snow left only on the islands and where the store the snow, no piles on pavemnt so it has to be good at it. But for $100 bucks a hour per truck you can't complain.

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yep. The only downside is it looks like a 2wheel drive. This time last year that truck would have been twice that amount lol.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

2wd should be fine in a flat parking lot, especially if you are plowing with the storm. On that HD I would be running at least 2 tons ballast, probably 3. I don't know if you can get a true snow for the 19.5s, but I would have a set of chains handy in case you get a foot of concrete

8. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

truck

i have had a few of these trucks, this is the first diesel i have had. this one is a dump.

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My 01' C3500 HD, 8.1 does great and I would assume that one would do good also.

When we had our 12" blizzard, it pushed through piles with ease. I also had salted all my accounts before the storm to ensure traction when getting down to the pavement. I also only had about 800lbs of salt in the back at the time.

Now, the previous owner of my truck put a posi rear in it, and I feel that helps out immensely with 2wd.

As for rear tires, I ended up getting 19.5" re-treads from a local tire shop. A fraction the cost of new tires and the lug pattern was as good or better than new winter tires. I feel that makes a huge difference also.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

What's the gvw on a truck like that? Been thinking about getting one for pulling our skidsteer. We currently use s 3/4 ton and its really pushing the limits of that truck.

11. durafish

from 02919

I thinks its like 15,000 or something like that. It's comparable to a f450 but its actually a quality truck. That can be had pretty cheap and clean because not many people know what they are. The newer the better in 2001 the diesel engines is the same as the h1 up until 2006 so it can't be too bad. Stay away from 94-95 though.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I had the same truck. A 1999 with an 11' dump box. We put a 9' Western on it and a 4 yard hydraulic spreader. Never got it stuck. You would be fine.

13. peteo1

Thanks. Didn't they go to the duramax in 01 though? I'm pretty sure Chevy ended their diesel program in 00.

Apologies to the OP, didn't mean to hijack the thread

14. durafish

from 02919

I thinks its like 15,000 or something like that. It's comparable to a f450 but its actually a quality truck. That can be had pretty cheap and clean because not many people know what they are. The newer the better in 2001 the diesel engines is the same as the h1 up until 2006 so it can't be too bad. Stay away from 94-95 though.

15. durafish

from 02919

Sorry for the double post. In all other trucks besides the 3500hd it ended up till 2002 they made the 3500hd they also had the 8.1 in those trucks but without the Allison.

16. White Gardens

Yes, it's 15000 GVWR. My truck weighs about 9300 empty, so I get a shade over 3 tons for the hauling capacity.

I'm sure if I didn't have central hydro and a heavy dump body, the payload would be a lot more.

As for pulling, my truck is a beast. I've had it filled to the hilt at 25k total weight between the truck and trailer and it had no issues what-so-ever. I'd put my 8.1 against the diesel version any day.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  17. durafish

from 02919

Yea that's true. I wonder what a just the cab and frame would weigh, 7,500lbs?????

18. White Gardens

And yes, it has a 4L80E behind the 8.1. But it's a tad different though. Something like a 9 tooth output gear over a standard 8 tooth or something like that. Not exactly sure, but there is a slight difference.

That and don't ever break a lug stud. It took me a week to finally track down the stock stud after breaking one off. The stock part number doesn't match up to the correct stud.

19. durafish

from 02919

Yea id love to find an 8.1 but they aren't very popular. Id think it would be nice to put a duramax in it but from a van because the use the 4L80E too. And yea many people don't even know what these trucks are I have seen them before but never knew but then I got board and did some research. Now I'm making my dad get one. ( I'm only 14)

20. peteo1

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated