1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

01 2500HD door hinge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Seaway25, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

My drivers door is sagging. I ordered a new set of hinges before I really looked closely at the door itself. It looks like the hinges are welded in. Has anyone changed these before? It doesn't look like fun.
  2. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I did the hinges on my 99. Are your hinges themselves bad or is it just the bushings that are shot? They make a "rebuild" kit for the hinges... Bushings and new pins. That's what I did.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't change the entire hinge unless it's absolutely positively 100% necessary and only as a last resort as you won't like the job or the results if you've never done it before.

The better route is to use the repair kits (like yard mentioned) which will replace both pins and bushings in one hinge and reestablish correct door alignment. If after disassembly you discover the bushing holes are worn out, weld it in a little and redrill/ream it until the bushing fits correctly before installing the new bushings.
  4. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

did pins and bushings on my 99. no big deal, $20 kit at the parts store. having a crane to hold the door was nice tho! xysport cut out the old pins, knock em' out, insert new pins, bushings, and a retaining ring, reset the door and ur done! my 99 doesnt have any door springs so that makes it easy, couldnt tell you if the 01 has springs, if it does, you need the compression tool, $20 i think?? but either way, shouldnt be too bad!
  5. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Thanks everyone!
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No spring compressor needed. :drinkup: