1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

00 TJ 31's "correct" tire pressure?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by info4tim, May 19, 2014.

1. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Have a lifted (3.2") 00 TJ with GY Duratrac 31.10.5x15. Meyer 6.5' TM plow. Great traction, stopping btw. Run 320# ballast in rear of rear. Question: What's "correct" tire pressure in these, and why? Thank you.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

35 empty. What load range

3. bschurr

bschurr Member

I run 31X10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrains at 28 PSI and this is plenty of air for an oversize tire.

Do not follow the door mounted tire pressure recommendations as they are for the OEM tire size of 225x75R15 tire size.

4. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Max load 2270 lbs. Maybe E rated?

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Those should be c. So max of 50 psi

I'd run 40 when you have plow on. 35 empty

28 is too low

6. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

OK sounds great! Got 35 now, no plow stuff on/in. Next yr will increase to 40. Thx very much

7. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

tire pressure

the correct tire pressure should ALWAYS be read off the sidewall of the tire which is figured out by the manufacturer of the tire and would eliminate problems if some one put wrong or different tires on a vehicle

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

That's the max psi...not the correct psi..

9. osomany?s

osomany?s Member

Really its on the side of the tire cause its wrong? I understand its the max and as long as you use it as a guide its better than going by a door jam spec .and obviously if its a max pressure you shouldn't go over it

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Okay try this.

Put 10 ply tires on an s10 and inflate them to 80psi. Which is what the tire says

Report back after that

No it's not Wrong. But it's not right either. The door jam spec is 9/10 right. I've ran 35-40 psi on 10 ply tires with no issues. It has more to do with the vechile and tire selection

9/10 half ton trucks come with 35 psi. On the door jamb that's what it calls for. Tires hold a max of 44psi being passenger tire. Not light truck tires.

If you put 44 in it it's going to ride like a damn brick

11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

So wrong, it hurts my brain!

Absolutely this!