1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

00 silverado1500 what to do to prep for a plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by honda12967, Jul 28, 2010.

1. honda12967

honda12967 Member

I have a 2000 chevy 1500 its 4x4 long bed short cab with a 4.8. I bought a meyer c-8 7.6' plow for it. What should i do to prep it, i have a broken foot now so its forcing me to do some research before i install. I wanna level it and get it so the truck will sit pretty level with a plow. i was thinking of a leveling kit with after market springs. Any tips on installs or anything that you guys have on your trucks that works, just let me know. Im 18 a tnd moneys limited, this is my first plow truck so im just trying to start out instead of doing side walks every year. Thanks guys.

2. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Hey Honda,

I have basically the same truck. You will want to check to see if it has the plow prep package from the factory. If it has the code "VYU" on the inside of the glove box, then it has the plow prep. That means it came stock with a high amp alternator, heavy torsion bars in the front end, and a couple other odds and ends.

Leveling the truck: If you search the site, you will find a ton of info on cranking the torsion bars up and adding Timbrens. The Timbrens are little load handlers for the front end to help with the added plow weight.

Need to have/do: good tires, flashing light, plenty of ballast in the rear of the truck, service the tranny and check the fluids in the t-case and axles, good battery, carry some spare parts and tools.

Nice to have/do: add a dual battery setup

These 1/2 tons are ok, my next truck will be a 3/4 ton though. It is just too hard on these little critters. The best advice I have is to not let the snow build up too much. I think I took a few years off the life of my truck with the last big storm we had this season.

3. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Honda,

I'm not sure if Meyers recommends that C series plow for a 1/2 ton truck. It may be too heavy for the axle ratings...

4. honda12967

honda12967 Member

I was a little worried about the weight on the truck, I dont want to kill the truck. But i want to be able to do some work with it, i would buy a 2500 if i had the cash but thats not an option right now.

5. wva

wva Member

I have a '93 lond bed 1500 just crank the tersion bars and keep all the bolts tight. I turned mine 3 turns front end has a little bounce without the plow