1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

00 Sierra 3500 crew 7.4 auto - too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jomofo, May 1, 2008.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Was looking at one of these - everything is imaculate, engine comp, interior, underneath, it's got the full tow prep, skids, rhino liner, srw, crew, 8' bed, 43K miles - $13,600. Seems a little too good to be true right? Had it out up to 80 - accels and stops straight - no shimmy shake or shudder - engine and tranny seem strong. What am I missing?
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It is 4 wheel drive? Look at the truck trader site on the internet. That price may not be that far off. The big engine trucks I have noticed are selling for fire sale prices lately. Must be the price of fuel?
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats the old body style...that is what they are worth!
  4. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hey thanks for the responses guys - It is 4wd and the old body style... Just glad that doens't mean there's anything wrong with it - looking on the internet most of what I see are trucks with 100,000 for 20K... Get's to piss a body off after a while...
  5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Not a bad price for the mileage. I just looked at two 98 ECSB K2500's with 454/4L80E's One had 85,000 miles on it, 60/40 bench seat with cloth interior, tow package, floor shift 4x4, skid plates, and bed mat. It also had a cracked windshield and front tires were wearing on the outside edge. The truck had been garaged all its life and was probably one of the cleanest trucks of that year I have seen. He wanted $12,000 for it.

Second truck was at a dealer and had 82,000 miles on it. It had a custom leather interior. The front and back seats were not factory GM seats. Carpet was dirty. It had the tow package, sliding back glass, bed mat, no skid plates, factory cab lights, duel exhaust and newer larger than stock tires. The body had some small dents and dings and some rust starting to form on the driver's side cab corner. They wanted $9980 for this truck.

Last fall before I bought my 1 ton, I looked at a 98 ECLB duelly K3500 with 68,000 miles on it. It had the 454/4L80E and the bucket seats and center and roof consoles Truck had the tow package, no skid plates, bed mat, and fifth wheel ball in bed. Truck was very straight and looked good. Tires all needed to be replaced as well as the windshield. The guy was asking $12,000 but came down to $9700. I decided not to buy it because I didn't want to spend the money for all six tires and windshield so it would pass inspection. The truck sat in front of his father-in-law's house for about four months before it disappeared. I don't know if he actually ever sold it. He even replaced the windshield and could not get a bite.

A local truck just like you are looking at sold on Ebay for $11,900 a few months back. It had 73,000 miles on it and was pretty well loaded with options.

All of these trucks were Silverado's.
  6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

depends on what your doing wih the truck. i had a 99 7.4 with 28 k on it and could not pass a gas station with out stopping in. had the truck to the dealer twice and they tole me its just the nature of the beast to get the bad of milage. thats what pushed me to get my new 06 cc/sb 2500hd diesel after i got that truck every other truck i got has been a diesel and i would not have it any other way. even with fuel cost, they work hard last 3 times longer than a gasser and when your not working the truck you get good milage out of them