1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

00 Ford F250 Super Duty Fuse blowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bigboss1977, Dec 22, 2012.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

I have my warning light plugged into my cig outlet....When plowing the fuse blows every time. I believe it's a 10amp fuse. When I'm not plowing everything is fine.....only thing I can think of is with the plow operating it's using to much power and causing it to blow but I certainly don't know everything with auto electrical issues.

Same thing happens when I use the second accessory cig outlet.

It is a rotating warning mini bar would the light it self just require to much power?

Could I put in a bigger fuse and be ok?

Thanks

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

hard wire it from the battery with the proper gauge wire to a 20amp inline fuse to a switch to the light . then ground the light . very simple . take your time by doing it correctly .Solder & heat shrink splices , neatly tucking and hiding all wire .

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

At 12 volts, each 55w bulb draws 4.5 amps. Times 2 bulbs plus the rotator motors the light is drawing about 10 amps, so it should be no surprise it's blowing a 10 amp fuse. Upgrade the light to an LED, those rotators are power hogs.

4. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

5. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

There could also be a short between the plug and the light causing it to blow the fuse.

6. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

cig lighter is a 20 amp fuse change out the 10 if thats what it is

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Did you tap the plow control power wire into the fuse panel...possibly into the same fuse that feeds the cig lighter?

8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Probably not, most of the time plow controllers are tapped into an ignition switched source, the lighter sockets on the superduties are on all the time.

9. quick decision

quick decision Junior Member

Check your owners manual but my 99 f250 is a 20 amp fuse. I have had the same problem. Brought the light back and the new one seems to be fine.

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

yup.
    check you owners manual, and you will find it has the wrong fuse in it. lighter and power points use either 20 or 25 amp fuses, not 10 amp.