1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'00 Chevy 1500 - How Do You Beef Yours?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jkmola, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Jkmola

Jkmola Junior Member

Just wondering what anybody might do to beef up their truck. For instance, can you put heavier or stronger front axles on your truck? How about any other components? What about the rearend? Anything that you would do to a stock 1500 to make it a better or stronger truck qualifies. I already have some ideas on some things I want to do, but I'm just always looking for more!

2. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

Front suspention put on timbrens or a leveling kit or different rate torsion bars(I have a leveling kit but do not have a plow yet)

Rear add a leafs or the inflatable air bags for differant loads,I think they are same cost as timbrens but are adjustable

3:73 or 4;10 gears

Tranny cooler with a temp gage/upgrade the servoe, put shift kit in or adj. computer for firmer shifts

Higher output alternator & dual batteries

You will still were out ball joints & go thru brakes quicker and also posably wear out wheel & axle bearings sooner but you would have to be hualing heavy loads for this to happen

The 3/4 tons are built with most of this stuff from the factory & have a beefier trans,axles ,bearings etc. but I think a 1/2 ton set up right will handle most ofwhat you through at it,but it will wee out sooner than a HD truckwesport

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I have a 96 gmc 1/2 ton that I plow with. Put heavier torsion bars in the front, and some timbrens. It works fine. As far as the rear, you can buy an add a leaf kit for it. I would imagine that you could go with 3/4 ton axles, but have never done it on anything newer than a 76 chevy. So I cant help ya there. Good Luck

4. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

I've swapped out the torsion bars and added timbrens on the front.

Added a leaf in the rear.

Did a lot of replacing things last season such as ball joints, brake pads, and even a wheel bearing. All part of the business though.

Lookin to add a tranny temp gauge.