1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

-0 Question

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Vaughn Schultz, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Last Update on Feb 3, 5:24 pm CST

(-18°C) Humidity: 55 %
    Wind Speed: W 18 MPH
    Barometer: 30.13"
    Dewpoint: -13°F (-25°C)
    Wind Chill: -21°F (-29°C)
    Visibility: 10.00 mi.
    More Local Wx: 3 Day History:

This is off the NOAA.COM web site. I am not questioning its credibility but I am simply intrigued. How can it be -0? Wouldn’t it just be 0? Is there a +0 I don’t know about, have I been blind to it all these years? I have seen this on more then one occasion, in fact most likely every time its 0 outside or -0 what ever it’s called.
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You got me going when I seen the subject title, and to think they get paid for that.
  3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh you didn't know that it goes from 0 to 1 -0 to 0 or -0 to -1. Gosh what a tard. :dizzy: . I have given it some thought and I think all weather people smoke DOPE. lol. They get paid a lot of money so they can smoke alot of it too.
  4. doh

doh Senior Member

maybe the - is for the windchill factor, if there was no wind it may have been just 0
  5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Sorry, The correct answer is rounding. :)

For example it is say -.2 degrees it is simply rounded to -0. Same thing if it was +0. Just +.2 degrees rounded. Most weather stations measure to 1/10th of a degree.

With knowing that much you at least know which side of zero the temp is on.

In computer talk most places just use something like this

Print ROUND(Temp)

If ROUND(Temp) == 0 Then Print "0" else Print ROUND(Temp)

Would do away with the +/- in front of the 0
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  6. Vaughn Schultz

Damn, your good :D
  7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Now if I could get the women folk to say the same.
  8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Its not just the weathermen! I jumped in my truck and it went from -0 to 0 It thought of this post and cracked up! I have pictures of it too, lol
  9. I know the overhead in my pickup tonite said -0. No idea, just know it was cold.....now I'm drunk so it doesnt matter....
  10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Actually, you're wrong. The weather man is simply stating that it is going to be absolute zero out, or –459.67 °F.
  11. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

Who cares if its right or wrong its still damn COLD!
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

yeh and my snowblower which is normally very reliable said noway last night:realmad:
    I had to shovel:eek: Thank god I had this really dumb winter hat with ear flaps on it in the truck:D -5* is freakin cold.
  13. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

you guys wanna talk cold, come up here, its -20 right now, and the windchill is -35, but on the bright side its sunny out! From inside it looks very nice outside with the white snow. Im kinda used to it now though, its been cold here sence thursday. Yesterday I went snowmobiling and it was -15 out, but it wasent really that bad.
  14. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Yeah after a few days of 0F and - 15 windchills, here in the lake effect area from lake Michigan,, I long for the days of warmer temps,, like 20 and 30F.

Layer up, you get used to it. It has snowed all day every day for the last 3 days. Doing my Commerical Lots 2 times daily, and I'm evening gettin some Res calling.payup

Make hay while the suns shining White hay that is! payup payup
  15. stroker79

my truck is still confused!

2 nights ago it kept going from 0 to -0, just thought it was funny
  16. Vaughn Schultz

Temp right now is -6 this morning it was -12 thats cold for along here;) At the local pond all the geese are huddled tightly in a circle with there heads down like penguins. It looks really funny :p

We are in are 80th hour of below zero windchills. This morning it was 30 below, I know its alot colder up north but thats cold for Chicago :rolleyes:
  17. stroker79

yeah its really cold. i dont remember it being this cold in a long time!!

Unfortunately the cold scared of the moisture!