Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher HT Review

Hello,
This year I bought a truck that could take a Fisher plow which is what I have been wanting for years. I go to Arrowhead Equipment in Colonie with my Colorado to see what I can get myself into. I speak with a gentleman and I tell him I want a 7'6" SD series, he then proceeds to tell me about the all new HT series. Needles to say I am the owner of an HT. Here are my thoughts about this new plow......
Mounting -
The HT uses the Minute Mount 2 system as used on just about all Fisher brand plows. I rather like the MM2 system due to its simplicity and the on lever/handle for both pins. The jackstand that I got has the shorter pin that has been a complaint of most people. I have only had a problem with it once or twice and it holds just fine. Mounting is also easy I drive in never have had problems lining up, attach the electrical put it in float. lever up give it a push and pins lock in.
Push Plates...

Off Truck (Disregard the **** in the garage its mostly gone now)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton2286 View Post
Can we please just let this be the only answer? Just once? lol
Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Controls -
I was given the FIsh Stik hand held control. I have never used a hand held plow control before, but I said hell I'm game for something new. Having been using the Fisher joystick for years and the Curtis touch pad I had mounted in my black Ranger it took a few minutes to get used to. I have to say I like the Fish Stik the way it fits in my fat hand, the buttons are rather soft and have quick response, and I can take it off and throw it in the glove box in the off-season.
Fish Stik...

Electronics/Hydraulics -
The HT uses multi-plexing technology (2 Wire) which are also used on the Xtreme V and XLS. I am not a real wiz in how the system truly works which I am not proud of but hey we are not all perfect. On the last plow I owned (Curtis) and the plows I use for work (Fisher) there was quite a drain on the electrical system. On the HT my lights barey dim. The casing on the wires in my bumper is not of the best quality I used a piece of loom and zip ties to cover where the sleeve opened and slid back a bit. The hydraulic system is quick and responsive not as fast as the Boss hydros but not slow like the old Blizzards. I like that the hydraulic system is covered and away from the elements.
Hydraulic Cover...

Direct Lift System -
The HT uses the direct lift system unlike most of the other Fisher lineup with exception to the Homesteader. There have been big debates about the direct vs chain lift setup, I never dealt with a direct lift system prior to this so I was pretty bias of the chain lift. After using my HT the first time around boy what a system instant lift no slap going over bumps it is great. I only have to tap the up button on my Fish Stik and I have the instant lift and I haven't ripped up any grass on lawns unlike with my Curtis. I have to say I am a believer in the direct lift system.
Lift...

Scraping -
The HT has a 75* attack angle which is that of the X Blade and Xtreme V. I have not worn down a ton of the base angle yet (too many cars on the road at 60 mph to drop the plow lol). The blade scrapes to the pavement each time I have used it, with a hell of a lot of chatter. The chatter is quite annoying and leaves marks on the one driveway I do but I haven't received a complaint.....yet. I believe once the angle is worn down a but this should resolve. Back dragging is fantastic even though I don't quite get how to enable scrap lock i sometimes leave it in float or bump it just out of float works either way.
Clean Driveway...

Quote:
Old 02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Complaints -
I only have 1 complaint about this plow and it is that it sticks out off the from of my grill. It is not as bad as a Jeep, just an annoyance.
Complaint...

Overall -
I am very happy with my purchase other than the aforementioned issue. I would advise anyone with a smaller truck to look into these plows.
Eye Candy...

Quote:
Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Hey stik,I seen your old ranger and i have a ranger with a plow.Which do you like better to plow with the ranger or the new chevy.What size motor is in the chevy .What are your likes and dislikes about the two truck. Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Why is there 6 buttons on your fishstik? What do they all do? Does fisher make wings for those plows?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

I meant 8 buttons.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowguy43 View Post
Why is there 6 buttons on your fishstik? What do they all do? Does fisher make wings for those plows?
Sorry I forgot to add thats for the security feature they have for anti theft which I dont use.
http://www.fishersnowplows.com/securityguard.asp

Quote:
Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDogg View Post
Hey stik,I seen your old ranger and i have a ranger with a plow.Which do you like better to plow with the ranger or the new chevy.What size motor is in the chevy .What are your likes and dislikes about the two truck. Thanks
Chevy has the 3.5 I-5. Its auto kind of a plus didn't really mind the manual in the Ranger. I guess they weigh about the same for likes and dislikes. Favorite part was the Ranger was paid off for a year .

Quote:
Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Nice write up Jason. Good looking truck. Do you put any counterweight in the bed when plowing?

Some have mentioned the chatter is worst when the blade is straight, less when angled.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 PM

STICK 208

I have an 08 Ram 1500. I bought the HT series plow last summer and have had a real tough time with it. The jackstand is a pain. Every time I take the plow off the truck I put it in float and detach everything. Then when the next storm comes im spending hours trying to put it on. The jack stand always collapses when I push on the headgear to lock the pins into place.Also im always on level ground in my garage and sometimes the pushplates are to high for the pins and I end up having to lift the plow up to get the pushplates underneath to the pins or having to jack the plow up with a jack. When I do have the plow on the truck though it works great and I love it. Im sick of the attachment process though. For it to be called a minute mount it should take only minutes, but in my case it takes an hour or more and im always calling my buddies to try to help me out. For spending $3500 on it I expected the process of attaching the plow to be a breeze. Any thoughts on what im doin wrong?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 PM

Plow attachment problems

Jason I purchased the HT series over the summer for my 08 Ram 1500 and have been having attachment problems every storm that I try on putting the plow on. The jackstand each and every time gives out even when I hear it click into place when I push the headgear toward the truck to lock the pins in. I dont know what im doing wrong. When I detach the plow I leave it in float and expect to be able to drive right up to it for the next storm but no. I pull the jack stand out to and many cases when Im trying to attach the blade the pushplates are always to high over the plow and I end up either trying to lift the plow up to get the pushplates to connect with the pins or jack to plow up and try to make it lock in place. Im doing this on flat ground to in my garage and Im at the point where im ready to sell the damn thing. When its actually on the truck it works great and I have no complaints. But attaching it is such a pain and for $3500 it should be a breeze to put on. I was wondering why the jack whouldnt be in the middle of the plow on the first place. On the left side of it is stupid because each and every time my right pushplate is always lower and requires the plow to be jacked up. Any thoughts on what I might be doin wrong. Any insights would be helpful at this point.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
Nice write up Jason. Good looking truck. Do you put any counterweight in the bed when plowing?

Some have mentioned the chatter is worst when the blade is straight, less when angled.
No weight in the back I only do my driveway and my neighbors. It is starting to calm down a bit with the chattering.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP24 View Post
STICK 208

I have an 08 Ram 1500. I bought the HT series plow last summer and have had a real tough time with it. The jackstand is a pain. Every time I take the plow off the truck I put it in float and detach everything. Then when the next storm comes im spending hours trying to put it on. The jack stand always collapses when I push on the headgear to lock the pins into place.Also im always on level ground in my garage and sometimes the pushplates are to high for the pins and I end up having to lift the plow up to get the pushplates underneath to the pins or having to jack the plow up with a jack. When I do have the plow on the truck though it works great and I love it. Im sick of the attachment process though. For it to be called a minute mount it should take only minutes, but in my case it takes an hour or more and im always calling my buddies to try to help me out. For spending $3500 on it I expected the process of attaching the plow to be a breeze. Any thoughts on what im doin wrong?
If the pin slips out while driving into the headgear I would say your driving in to fast. If the stand slips through the spring loaded jack I can't even fathom what would cause that.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Hi stik, Good review. I have a friend who has an HT on his Tundra. I was thinking about a rig like yours, but was told that the only plow for the Colorado was the Homesteader. I checked the ematch on the Fisher web site and it seemed to cofirm that information. Where did you get mounts for this setup? Again great review and very informative.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowbill View Post
Hi stik, Good review. I have a friend who has an HT on his Tundra. I was thinking about a rig like yours, but was told that the only plow for the Colorado was the Homesteader. I checked the ematch on the Fisher web site and it seemed to cofirm that information. Where did you get mounts for this setup? Again great review and very informative.
Got it at Arrowhead in Albany/Colonie. Fisher makes push plates for the Colorado, if you go through e-match I think the MM2 is for the regular cab model. Same frame so it matches up.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
PlowSite Fanatic

Do they make wings for it from fisher?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowguy43 View Post
Do they make wings for it from fisher?
I haven't seen them advertised or anything, I wouldn't need them for anything.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2010, 03:26 PM

how is the HT handling all that snow?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Did alright I think it back drags alot better on fluff than this wet slop mess.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2010, 04:56 PM

do have an pic the
whole truck side mount