Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM
2000 Club Member

Boss Vs. Western Vs Fisher Vs Blizzard?? Power Wing Plow Vs V Blade?? Ohh My.

Lets try and keep this from getting into a p*ssing match about who's plow is really better and what color you like.

I'm considering a new to me truck and it will be a 05+ diesel from Dodge or GM. My 2nd problem besides deciding on trucks (that's not the point of this thread) is a blade to put on the front of it.

I plow mostly commercial lots varying in size from 5ish parking spaces up to room for several hundred cars and a few semi's. I also plow some driveways, both in town residentials that are 1 car wide and 25' long to country driveways that are both paved and gravel and are sometimes 2+ cars wide and 1/2 mile or longer.

My dilemma is a V or Power Plow (XLS, 810, Wideout). I've only ran 1 V and it was a 9.2 Boss Rt3. I've never run a Fisher or Western V. Never really considered buying one after liking the direct lift and speed of the boss but not ruled out completely. The right price on one could change my thoughts. I've never run a power plow, don't see that many of them around me. I'm concerned though how a power plow would do opening up some of the long country driveways that are deeply drifted with several feet of snow in places, or I'm opening them up for the first time of the season in mid February. I've found my straight blade to be slow, hard on my truck (snow starts pushing the truck around), and a general pita to use while opening up packed driveways with 10"+ of snow that's been there for a month or more. Possible, yes, fun, no.

Also has Western/Fisher gotten their wing plows figured out and the bugs worked out? I've seen some ones with weird problems on here and don't want to be one of those people.

Lets not make this a Chevy/Dmax Vs Dodge/Cummins argument. I'm more interested about the plows. I know what V's are good at, I'm more interested in the power wing plows and if others think I'd be ok with one of them for doing the driveways I talked about.

For a V it would be a 9.2 Poly Boss, 9.6 Poly Western, or 9.6 SS Fisher.
For a wing plow it would be a Fisher XLS or Western Wideout probably.

Also how interchangeable are Fisher vs Western Parts? I've found a few trucks I like at a dealer that also is a Fisher dealer. If I could work out some sort of a deal for a Fisher V or XLS on a truck I buy I don't want to be up a creek without a paddle when I need parts and they are about an 90 minutes away in a snow storm the opposite way that my route is. However there is a Western dealer much closer, they are also a Fisher dealer but they deal much more with western and I assume stock way more western parts then fisher. Fisher isn't to common in this area yet, very slowly catching on.

Sorry for the novel, if it makes no sense at all its because it's 12:30am.

Chevy 2500HD
Takeuchi TL230

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
and I thought I was stupid
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 AM
2000 Club Member

I use boss, but Iam gonna say boss or western maybe the wide out or a nice boss v. Also I've never used chain lift so I can't realy recomend driect lift but I think that with direct lift it's easer to back drag cuz you can take it out of float so the snow dosent lift up plow

Last edited by ajslands; 02-06-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 AM

The make all depends on the dealer you find and the deal you can get. I would get a V. I think it is the most versital. I can only see the wideouts being good for doing parking lots and such. I don't think I would want to be looking down a 1/2 mile+ road, 18" snow in it with a wideout. You will be very surprised what you can open up with a V. But, I have never run a wideout. This is just IMO. You need to get a good dealer, and get a plow around what you are doing.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andcon83 View Post
The make all depends on the dealer you find and the deal you can get. I would get a V. I think it is the most versital. I can only see the wideouts being good for doing parking lots and such. I don't think I would want to be looking down a 1/2 mile+ road, 18" snow in it with a wideout. You will be very surprised what you can open up with a V. But, I have never run a wideout. This is just IMO. You need to get a good dealer, and get a plow around what you are doing.
x2 on a V probably being more versatile. My other thought was to get a V and get either Western or Boss wings for it if I want more carrying capacity.

Chevy 2500HD
Takeuchi TL230

Quote:
Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 AM

I agree, I think for your situation, a v with wings would be best. I love the power plows, but for opening up with snow drifts, a v is better.
ASV sr70 Blizzard 810
Kubota 7610 60" blade, 72" back blade cab w/heat
5 single stage Toros
Honda hs1132, hs928
Many snowplow shovels
Old 02-06-2010, 07:55 AM
2000 Club Member

Mark - I don't think you can beat the versatility of the Vee. Especially with the long drives and drifted snow.

I would probably go Boss........

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 AM

Go with a vee blade with removable wings.As for the brand go with the best one with dealer support..
Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 AM

I'd get a V, can't beat the versatility, I've never run a wideout before, but I imagine deep snow it will act the same as your current straight blade on the truck, also I can't imagine that you can stack as high with one (could be wrong) but I do know I can stack higher with my V then I could with a straight. Also I think the new Western hydros are just as fast as the boss' and definitely don't need to be any faster. As far as direct vs. chain, I like chain, not saying one is better than the other but I like the chain mainly because some of the drives I do go down (bassakwards I know) at a steep angle and I can get down to the pavement/gravel by just letting more chain out where as with a direct lift it stops and thats it, you may never encounter this though. If you like the idea of the wings just add them to your V, and 8'6" V with wings is the same as the wideout as far as snow containing or wind rowing goes. Also try the search function this has been discussed a hundred times with in the last year alone. Wing vs. V - Boss vs Western/Fisher.

Good Luck

'08 F-250 XLT 4X4 CC/SB/PSD
'99 F-450 4x4 Flatbed PSD
'12 Henderson 4yd salter
'13 Western Wideout
'09 8.5' Western MVP Plus POLY
'06 Bobcat S250 2sp w/9' Kage system
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 AM
2000 Club Member

I have a V 8ft 6 western poly and also a wideout.
I have not used the v very much as it is new to me this year. however on my last small event I left the wideout at home and used the V

One thing that I was not aware of with the V is that in scoup mode you cant angle the blade. With a wideout if you are in scoop you can angle the blade and essentially go around a corner ect.

I have a set of wings but have not clipped them on the v.

I find that my wideout is faster then my V.

Small town computer store owner/operator since 2000.
Commercial snow services since 2007
Old 02-06-2010, 09:42 AM
2000 Club Member

If you have an ebling all you need is a 7' front blade to begin with LOL

After owning a Noway Mega Rev and it being a total disaster, I learnt when it comes to snow to keep is simple and stupid and it will work... My vote is for the boss V...
Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 AM

If you want a plow that will give the least amount of problems, then the Boss V is your only choice.

I now am on my third season with me 8.2 V and there has been zero problems.

When I first started looking at plows I was close to getting a fisher V. But what changed my mine was a fella I know that does alot of the work for the plow dealers such as installs, warranty work as well as major & minor repairs. He told me to take the Boss, it should give you no problems and if you do encounter a problem, boss plows are simple to diagnose.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:54 AM
2000 Club Member

I would recommend the 9'2"Boss V. I have a 8611lp and think it is the best plow ever, however for your country drives the V is a must IMO. That is really the only spot I see you having an issue with a winged plow. Remember, you don't have to have the wings deployed, so in real heavy deep snow it will simply be 8'6" wide when straight. Still a V is easier to open things up with.
Boss SmartHitch 1100 Tailgate Spreader
Bobcat S650 / Snow Wolf Ultra 120
Old 02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

My .02 is not about the plow, but rather Dealer Support, Just because you are getting a new plow doesnt mean you might not have problems, A close dealer with lots of parts will help keep your sanity when your broke down
Old 02-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Duramax and a boss v, cant go wrong.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 PM
2000 Club Member

Thanks for all the input. I've wanted a Boss V since I got into plowing, but I just wanted to see what others thought to make sure I wasn't missing out on one of those power plows. I'm sure the power plows are very nice plows but I kinda thought they might not be the best for some of the stuff I do but be awesome at others.

Chevy 2500HD
Takeuchi TL230

Quote:
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
2000 Club Member

Get a Boss V with wings.

2004 F-250 V-10,CC, Western 1000 tailgate spreader, BOSS 8 1/2' V Blade
2001 F-250 ext cab 5.4 with a Sno-Way V Blade
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Boss 91/2' V Blade
1994 F150 5.4 Ext, Sno-Way 71/2' Blade
1989 F250 Boss 7 1/2' V Blade
1990 Chevy 2500 with a Henderson V-Box spreader and a Sno-Way 7 1/2' blade
JD 4020
Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 PM

I have a 9'2" Boss Poly V on my 05 GMC Duramax and a 8'6" Stainless steel Fisher V on my 07 Chevy . Both are 3/4 ton trucks. I like the Fisher way better than the Boss. I know alot of guys have had good luck with the boss but mine hasn't seemed to have held up as well as my fisher. plus something to keep in mind is if your pump/motor goes on a fisher you can short jack the chain and transport it to the shop. If your boss pump/motor goes there is no way to rasie the blade and you have to transport it by driving with the blade on the ground. I have had the motor replaced 3 years in a row, dealer serviced yearly and maintained well. My fisher - no issues.
1-9 cu. ft. Snoway salter
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJs Lawncare View Post
I have a 9'2" Boss Poly V on my 05 GMC Duramax and a 8'6" Stainless steel Fisher V on my 07 Chevy . Both are 3/4 ton trucks. I like the Fisher way better than the Boss. I know alot of guys have had good luck with the boss but mine hasn't seemed to have held up as well as my fisher. plus something to keep in mind is if your pump/motor goes on a fisher you can short jack the chain and transport it to the shop. If your boss pump/motor goes there is no way to rasie the blade and you have to transport it by driving with the blade on the ground. I have had the motor replaced 3 years in a row, dealer serviced yearly and maintained well. My fisher - no issues.
Are they giving you rebuilt motors? 3 Yrs. in a row is unbelieveable! Something doesn't add up, or you're the most unlucky Boss plow owner ever.
Boss SmartHitch 1100 Tailgate Spreader
Bobcat S650 / Snow Wolf Ultra 120
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJs Lawncare View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues with the Boss. The Boss plow can be "shortchained" similar to a chain lift plow. You just need to have a ratchet strap. Boss actually includes a strap in their emergency kit.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Western 9'6" MVP plus with the

Western brand wings will move far more snow then the wide-out, increase versatility for the long driveways and drifts you deal with. All plows have good and bad points, dealer support is key. I like the Western trip system compared to Boss, but I like the Boss lift system. Couple things to consider: A 9'6" MVP with wings is very wide, and you while traveling cannot have it in an inverted V too much or the wings will drag. Best of luck with your purchase, RA Adams has given me great dealer support, but no longer sell and or service Boss.