Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM
2000 Club Member

can diesel harm hydraulic system?

so we had a little mishap at the pump last night, my guy opened the back of the skidsteer (to get access to the diesel cap, and instead of opening the diesel cap, opened the hydraulic fluid cap, and the resevoir was filled with diesel!!! (damn case for putting both caps in similar areas/locations, anyways, we loaded the skid onto the trailer, and promptly got it back to the shop, drained all the resevoir, so the question here is, if diesel is a oil base, and our skidsteer uses 10w30 as hydraulic fluid, when we put the new fluid in, do we need to do a flush? or well the little bit of diesel that is still in the system just mix in with the 10w30? i am leaning towards draining it again and replacing the fluid a second time, but would love to hear thoughts on this

910 cat loader
440 case skidsteer
40xt case skidsteer
1840 case skidsteer
gc2300 massey tractor
ford tractor
2 dump trailers
ford 3 ton dump truck
............and counting
Old 01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
2000 Club Member

I think you are on the right track. You may want to run it a bit between changes.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
2000 Club Member

yeah, i was thinking that too, so we put the new fluid in and i sent it out to plow a couple places, then we well do another change, (i could have thought of better ways to spend a couple hundred bucks)

910 cat loader
440 case skidsteer
40xt case skidsteer
1840 case skidsteer
gc2300 massey tractor
ford tractor
2 dump trailers
ford 3 ton dump truck
............and counting
Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
2000 Club Member

just talked to the dealer, he says the diesel could soften all the rubber seals, in pumps, hoses, valves, rams, etc, praying the flush is going to work

910 cat loader
440 case skidsteer
40xt case skidsteer
1840 case skidsteer
gc2300 massey tractor
ford tractor
2 dump trailers
ford 3 ton dump truck
............and counting
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM
2000 Club Member

Same thing happened to me last year-wasnt thinking and filled the hydraulic tank of my Cat 257 with deisel. Got it flushed and machine ran all summer and into this winter without any problems...yet.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 PM

The only harm it does is weaken the seals. If you didn't run it with fuel in it and drained it you should be fine.

Scott

Insearch of non running gas powered chainsaws. PM if you have any to donate to my other habit.....
Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 PM
2000 Club Member

it did run with the diesel, loading into the trailer, 5min, then unloading 5min, we are going to do another flush and replace filters here this afternoon, see what happens

910 cat loader
440 case skidsteer
40xt case skidsteer
1840 case skidsteer
gc2300 massey tractor
ford tractor
2 dump trailers
ford 3 ton dump truck
............and counting
Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 PM

It always amazes me as to how people can do this. Are you in that big of a hurry or are you that blind to not see where you are putting the fuel in your machine, not trying to pick a fight, but honestly.
I work part time for a rental company and 2-3 times a year someone will fill up the hyd tank with gas on our wood chipper, the best part is that the hyd tank has a lock and is bolted shut, people take the bolt off and all to do this. Just amazes me and then they wonder why they are being charged for 15 gallons worth of hyd oil, where if they would have paid attention to where the gas tank is when we showed them initially it would not have been and issue. rant over!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthss View Post
It always amazes me as to how people can do this. Are you in that big of a hurry or are you that blind to not see where you are putting the fuel in your machine, not trying to pick a fight, but honestly.
I work part time for a rental company and 2-3 times a year someone will fill up the hyd tank with gas on our wood chipper, the best part is that the hyd tank has a lock and is bolted shut, people take the bolt off and all to do this. Just amazes me and then they wonder why they are being charged for 15 gallons worth of hyd oil, where if they would have paid attention to where the gas tank is when we showed them initially it would not have been and issue. rant over!
Sh!t happens.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthss View Post
Must be nice to never make a mistake.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM

Ya, I know, you can always talk big until you do it yourself. Never said I was perfect!!! I guess its just another reason not to buy a case ss.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
2000 Club Member

for the record, it was a stupid move, (and i stood there and watched it happen) a combination of, working late, being tired, inexperience, and not paying attention. I am going to weld half chain links right by the hydraulic cap, and run a zip tie through it so that it doesn't happen again. hoping this doesn't become a $1000+ mistake, could be a hard lesson learned

910 cat loader
440 case skidsteer
40xt case skidsteer
1840 case skidsteer
gc2300 massey tractor
ford tractor
2 dump trailers
ford 3 ton dump truck
............and counting
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoyale View Post
Same thing happened to me last year-wasnt thinking and filled the hydraulic tank of my Cat 257 with deisel. Got it flushed and machine ran all summer and into this winter without any problems...yet.
How in the world did you do that with the arm in the way?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHOLS LANDSCA View Post
How in the world did you do that with the arm in the way?
Arm isnt in the way.

I was exausted from being up 36 hours, it was freezing, and had a million things to do that morning, machine was covered in a couple of inches of snow too.

Just wasn't thinking straight. Sh!t happens.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 AM

things like that do happen. No one was killed so let's move on. I would do something so it doesn't happen again.... label it paint it bright orange...

Scott

Insearch of non running gas powered chainsaws. PM if you have any to donate to my other habit.....