Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 PM

homemade rear snow plow!

Today I finished my "poor man's" snow plow. I know there are a lot of threads on here about plowing, and I know we all wish we could have a snow plow for 4-5 months out of the year. We all know they can be expensive some topping out at $6,500! After searching craigslist and finding nothing but old beat up plows with holes and bad pumps for $2,000 I decided to make one that was cheap, required no mounting hardware, and no extensive electrical wiring! HOW? You ask? Hitch N' Plow!

This adapter ($174 shipped) allows you to attach any Cat 1. Three point hitch to any vehicle with a 2" reciever. As long as the implement (scraper) weighs less than 500lbs.

I got the winch from Harbor Freight and was on sale for $49.99. The blade I got from the local junk yard for $110.. So.. for a whooping $335 I have a 8' plow!

If you get past the fact of how hillbilly or redneck it looks, it's actually a pretty cool deal for your own drive and maybe the neighbors. I think my winch is a little on the weak side for the blade I found.. but I wanted an 8' clearing path. Installation is a breeze with just one 12volt source and a ground wire to the winch. The winch is wireless! So no running wires to the cab for a hand controller. If the winch I have now craps out.. I'll get a bigger winch and swap over the wireless control box to the new winch (2 wires) and my new winch will then be wireless!

anyways.. no snow here yet.. but I got it all hooked up (5 min.) and the thing works pretty well. here are some pictures! Let me know what you think! I know I'm not going to be doing any major plowing with it.. but it beats the hell out of the shovel and the crappy lawn mower plows that cost like $350!

I also am working on a back up light that plugs into the RV slot and illuminates the blade when backingup..

Old 12-11-2009, 07:08 PM

I think that absolutely ROCKS!! What an ingenious Idea!!

you could also get a cat 1 York Rake and make a hell of a driveway scraper too!

i think that it is great!!

Dave
Old 12-11-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
I think that absolutely ROCKS!! What an ingenious Idea!!

you could also get a cat 1 York Rake and make a hell of a driveway scraper too!

i think that it is great!!

Dave
Thanks! A york rake would be B.A... thinking about starting my own lawn care biz soon... don't think i'll be using this for that.. but it works great for my drive.. I figured I'd inspire some others to get one of these!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 PM

Hillbilly or not, i love reading threads like this to see real ingenuity shine through. NOW ya just need to anty up for a electric actuator so you could even angle that chunk if you want

Looks like that hitch adapter is ahhh, kinda pushing it's limits LOL!!
Pump gas SBC through the mufflers

150 shot pass 1.33/6.36/10.11@130mph and Rustang killer
Web
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
Hillbilly or not, i love reading threads like this to see real ingenuity shine through. NOW ya just need to anty up for a electric actuator so you could even angle that chunk if you want

Looks like that hitch adapter is ahhh, kinda pushing it's limits LOL!!
I think I AM!! haha.. it think the blade is right around 500lbs or so.. which is the limit of this thing... I'm not sure how this thing weighs.. but it's diff HD
Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Dang cool. I wish my driveway would not drift over... so I could use a back blade. I just can't get the truck through the 3' drifts with out a front plow. It's nice seeing someone else using a HF winch!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
Dang cool. I wish my driveway would not drift over... so I could use a back blade. I just can't get the truck through the 3' drifts with out a front plow. It's nice seeing someone else using a HF winch!
you could get a front mount hitch HF is awesome
Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 AM

Thats what I was going to suggest

Get a front mount receiver hitch put on the truck.

500 lbs is quite a bit...but you can always get a bit smaller blade too.

It wouldn't be very difficult to put an actuator arm on it and you would be able to angle it. Should be able to "steal/scrounge" one off of an old BUD (Big Ugly Dish). You know, the old black C-band big dishes. Then with some wire and a relay you could angle from the cab.

Now we need photos of it in action, or a Youtube video

I love some redneck Engineering....here's mine. An old Western Plow from an S-10 truck I cobbed and made work on my 68 scout.
http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=92190

I can now raise and lower from in the cab, but I too have to get out to angle it by hnad (rams were shot, too much $$ to replace right now)

Dave

Last edited by 68scout; 12-12-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one to cobble things together. I really want a Blizzard Speedwing.. but we don't get enough snow here to justify spending that kind of money... I really don't need to angle it that much because of the way my drive is shaped.. but maybe in the future I might ad a LA
Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Nice work. I like seeing other homemade setups too made out of whatever works for personal use.

500 lb in itself not so much, but at that distance out looks like it might be pushing it. But hey, if it does give way, it'll only be in your own driveway anyway. And it might end up working just fine.

I used a very similar winch for my setup, it was $36 free ship off ebay back then. Looks just like the snowbear winches too. Worked great for 1 season, 2nd season it started drifting down and I would have to smack it with a hammer to get it going each time. So I took it apart and where the wires went in were not sealed well at all, it was full of rust and the brush springs were basically gone. I cleaned it out, put in new springs, put on sealing washers at the wire inlets, and filled it with wheel bearing grease. 6th season now and it's still working great.

I still use a 10 ft c-band dish to get my TV. Typical actuator is 24v. But if you used 2 at once and wired them in series then it might work.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:08 PM

where did you get the 3 pt adapter
Old 12-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSORK View Post
where did you get the 3 pt adapter
i think its called outdoorshopper.com
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM

i hear ya
for this season i bought a 7.5 plow meyers plow and a frame put it on a western conventional frame an pump. had alot of things that need to be customized i got about 400 into the whole bought it for 300. now i need the airbags for the truck
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 AM

How much do you figure you setup weighs?
4x4
3.55 gears
Needs A Plow !!!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 AM

I like it Kale, maybe I can find a lightweight unit for my Geo Tracker. Recently built a class III hitch for it, as hitch manufacturer's don't make them for this lightweight vehicle. Before anyone starts grinding on me, it's not for towing just for accessories (bike rack,etc) Attachment is a HF bender adapted to the hitch via a bed extender. Where you at in Ohio, I'm in Toledo. Anyway, good job.
Attached Images

Last edited by ranger88den; 12-21-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE][you could get a front mount hitch HF is awesome /QUOTE]

I would not put it on front NO TRIP SPRINGS if it would get cought up iitmight do serious damage
Old 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Well the old blade I had I got at a junk yard for $100 it was an 8' blade and weighed about 700-800lbs...which was nice.. only problem is the adapter said not go over 500lbs.. so last week I sold that blade on CL for $400 and made $300 profit! I took that money and bough a new 7' blade from TSC and it prolly weight about 300lbs or so.. and it's new! It's still on the trailer though.. i was going to unload it but I've been in bed with back spasms for the last 2 days...

I would never put this on the front of my truck with out trip springs.. but then again I don't see myself plowing faster than about 3 mph..

the adapter weighs about 45lbs and the winch is another 20-30lbs so right now I have a total weight of about 400lbs with the old blade set-up I would have had about 900lbs!!!

We only had a dusting..maybe an inch over the weekend and as much as I wanted to get the blade out and try it I didn't I want at least a solid 2" before I use it.. I'm really hoping we get like a 6" snow soon

I will try and get some new pictures of my new plow posted as soon as I'm able to get up and around

Last edited by Kale Lawn; 12-21-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 PM

I tried the link you posted for where to get the adapter at, but it doesn't work. Can you look and see if it is the right one. I think I may have to make one of these for myself, as I can't see spending 4000 to 5000 for all the more I need it.
4x4
3.55 gears
Needs A Plow !!!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 PM

I don't have trip springs on my little setup. Since I only use it for my own driveway, I know there is nothing I can catch it on. I don't have any curbs or ledges or anything, it's all dirt and grass under the snow.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:41 AM

ranger88 first time i saw that pic it thought it was somthing used to angle the plow