Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

CaCl vs NaCl

Last winter I experimented with some CaCl (Calcium Cloride). Applied directly to salt it had great results but to spray it directly to the asphalt made me second guess it due to its slippery nature.

Here are my thoughts: By reducing the CaCl percentages and upping the NaCl (salt brime) will this keep the freeze temps down and reduce the slipperyness of the solution??

I am presently retooling my spray system from last season and know that the application rate of CaCl is about 40gal/lane mile and is it safe to assume the NaCl will range from 50-100 gal/ lane mile.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, by reducing the cal percentage the slipperiness will go down. However, keep in mind, the slipperiness may have been caused by over application. Are you anti-icing with pure liquid or trying to use it as a deicer? If you are using it as a deicer it may have become slippery because the solution diluted to a point that it re-froze.
Also, sometimes more is not better in a liquid blend.
Cal mixed with brine will only get you to a certain freeze point by percentage. as an pure example, if the lowest freeze point you can get to is -10 with 20% cal with brine, mixing a higher percentage of cal in the solution will never give you a lower freeze point, you will just waste money on buying more cal.
The key is to find that number and percentage.
Another example....I blend my own liquid at work, it is a 80% brine 20% GeoMelt (sugar beet by-product) solution. If I were to increase the percentage of GeoMelt above 20 the melting point will not corrilate with the increase in percentage.
I hope this helps
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

The 80-20 split seems to make sense, was thinking about the same numbers too. I rather ask before re building and calibrating the nossels/pump. The slippery test was performed inside my own garage where I walked through a pre treated area outside and with snow on my shoes and came directly inside.

My supplier warned me about the issues with the Calcium and how it is better served as a non bonding agent rather than a melting one. For now I think the plan is to use salt brime as the main melter adding the extra heat and burn of the Calcium when needed. Plus pre treat all bulk salt with the CaCl for its benifits. I've been adding 5-10gal of CaCl per ton of salt in the hopper of the truck, seems to work well by just pouring it over the raw salt in the truck. Any one else try this or just by the spray method.

Any other wisdoms ideas would be appreciated.