Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Zero Turn Mower/Snow Blower

Hey guys.

Over this winter, I am going to purchase a new zero turn mower. I have never had any attachments for snow removal on any of my other zero turns before.

I'm tired of having equiptment sitting all winter, and want to start to use my stuff year round. Does anyone else use zero turns for snow removal? Are they even any good at it?

And the most important question... What make and model zero turn would be overal the best choice for using during winter & summer seasons. Whos got the attachments

thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
Hey guys.

Over this winter, I am going to purchase a new zero turn mower. I have never had any attachments for snow removal on any of my other zero turns before.

I'm tired of having equiptment sitting all winter, and want to start to use my stuff year round. Does anyone else use zero turns for snow removal? Are they even any good at it?

And the most important question... What make and model zero turn would be overal the best choice for using during winter & summer seasons. Whos got the attachments

thanks
Never have run one in the snow and probably wouldn't waste the money. They slip on wet grass with a slight slope, so how much snow could they really push?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:33 AM
2000 Club Member

I think a hustler super z or atz is the only thing that'll stand up good to all that pushin...(in the zero turn range) Theres a movie on youtube on one pushin snow....
Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 AM

I have an old Dixon that has a plow on it and it is quite fast at plowing as you can imagine. I run chains on the tires and it does pretty good w/the plow in the straigt position. When the plow is in the angled position it is pretty worthless once the snow gets fairly deep or wet. BUT......I do not do any commercial plowing w/it. It does a nice sized driveway and that is it. I could see one being good for sidewalks and such....
Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 PM

I was not talking about pushing with it..... getting a snowblower attachment for it, and blowing off driveways with it.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 PM

No one uses snow blower attachments on zero turns?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 PM

We use three Grasshopper zero turns with cab and blower to service 42 miles of 48" wide sidewalk. They are by far the most efficient machine available for sidewalks.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Thats the brand I was looking at buying. I really want a Walker for the bagging system for fall cleanups. But, I don't have $30k to spend right now.

Grasshopper sounds the way to go for a mower/snow removal machine.

Any idea what it will cost me for a new grasshopper with a bagging system and a snow blower attachment w/ cab.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:17 PM

What walker costs 30K? Grasshoppers are some major $$ too!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masternate42 View Post
I use all Grasshoppers and 1 walk behind hydo snapper, but I have used the grasshopper before on walks and small drives works ,ok. if not a huge incline, wet, or deep. I'd say if you have a large amount of walks id do it but perfer atv over it, best bang for buck IMO.< sometimes!

01 Chevy 1500HD, Cortex programmer, 3/4 ton Suspension upgrade, Exhaust, Gears, Engine Mods, Meyer 7'.6" Plow,Cub Cedet 250lb spreader
88 Chevy 2500HD, "the beast" 8' Meyer Plow,Meyer 350S Spreader
88 Dodge Power Ram, 7'.6" Myer Plow,

Bellsm_l@hotmail.com
Bell's Mowing & Landscaping LLC.
Bellsmowingandlandscaping.com New website plz check it out and give anyother ideas you think would be nice!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Accually a walker with all the attachments is more then 30k. Walker with the complete bagging system with lift, 2 decks, snow blower attachment, cab w/ heater.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Accually a walker with all the attachments is more then 30k. Walker with the complete bagging system with lift, 2 decks, snow blower attachment, cab w/ heater.
Nice but I would go Grasshopper personally. I have never had major issues with any of my Grasshoppers. They have good power, smooth hydo's, and long lasting. I'm not a seller just use them personally for my business. But that's JMO.

01 Chevy 1500HD, Cortex programmer, 3/4 ton Suspension upgrade, Exhaust, Gears, Engine Mods, Meyer 7'.6" Plow,Cub Cedet 250lb spreader

Bellsm_l@hotmail.com
Bellsmowingandlandscaping.com New website plz check it out and give anyother ideas you think would be nice!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Bells View Post
I use all Grasshoppers and 1 walk behind hydo snapper, but I have used the grasshopper before on walks and small drives works ,ok. if not a huge incline, wet, or deep. I'd say if you have a large amount of walks id do it but perfer atv over it, best bang for buck IMO.< sometimes!
I don't have a ton of walks. I want to use these mainly for driveways at condo associations. The reason why I want to do with something like this is because I hate having my mowers sitting all winter. I would rather be able to use them. Which is the same reason I would not want to buy an ATV. Garage space is filling up

Also, if 2 years down the road, for some odd reason, if I lose all my snow removal accounts, at least I have only an attachment that will be sitting and not a whole fleet of equiptment.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I don't have a ton of walks. I want to use these mainly for driveways at condo associations. The reason why I want to do with something like this is because I hate having my mowers sitting all winter. I would rather be able to use them. Which is the same reason I would not want to buy an ATV. Garage space is filling up

Also, if 2 years down the road, for some odd reason, if I lose all my snow removal accounts, at least I have only an attachment that will be sitting and not a whole fleet of equiptment.
Nice what part of the Midwest you From? whats average snowfall? I just like having the atv for fun more than work.

Bellsm_l@hotmail.com
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Nice but I would go Grasshopper personally. I have never had major issues with any of my Grasshoppers. They have good power, smooth hydo's, and long lasting. I'm not a seller just use them personally for my business. But that's JMO.
Thanks bells for your imput... now.. one more question. Desiel engines last longer, but always hear bad storys in winter. currently I have no desiel equiptment.

But you would go with a desiel engine right?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Nice what part of the Midwest you From? whats average snowfall? I just like having the atv for fun more than work.
Mid wisconsin. We seem to average about 45-50". The past few we have been over 70"
Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM

I do not know all mower prices...but It seems like you want the top of the line.....so I would bet the top of the line grasshopper is close in price. Either way, I have a 07 walker MB and a 36" blower that I just got. I have not used it so I can not say how good it is gonna be (the blower).....but I did test one a little bit last year and it did do good. Driving the walker will be different than the others, you may not like that anyways.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks bells for your imput... now.. one more question. Desiel engines last longer, but always hear bad storys in winter. currently I have no desiel equiptment.

But you would go with a desiel engine right?
NOPE, reason is this. In California, they are passing a bill on desiel motors, for emissions. I was told by my dealer it was not a good idea for the fact of. you will have to get them tested for emissions every year. AND have a certificate proving it. He said dont wast your money its not worth the money go gas and all is good. I just replaced all my mowers so i went all gas for this reason. went high HP so its about the same in maintenance and gas prices. just my 2 cents tho.

Bellsm_l@hotmail.com
Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I do not know all mower prices...but It seems like you want the top of the line.....so I would bet the top of the line grasshopper is close in price. Either way, I have a 07 walker MB and a 36" blower that I just got. I have not used it so I can not say how good it is gonna be (the blower).....but I did test one a little bit last year and it did do good. Driving the walker will be different than the others, you may not like that anyways.
I have tested out a couple of walkers, and love everything about them... just can not justify the cost... at least not right now

I promise you, I will not be buying a top of the line of anything i buy... lol
Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 PM

I was just sayin...cuz I have less than 5.5k in this walker.....including the blower and I plan on making some sort of soft cab for it.......no it does not bag tho...I have an Exmark Navigator that I use to bag.....and I don't have that much in it either. Sooooo....I think that if you shop around that you will be way ahead of buying new!