Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Boss V plow - Busting Drifts?

Hey!

I'm considering up grading my straight blade to a V Boss. The reason is I have a few accounts that have some nasty drifts on their driveways. I'm wondering if by going from a straight 7.5 to a 9.5 V if I'll gain much drift busting ability?

Thanks
Dean
Old 05-14-2009, 07:51 PM
2000 Club Member

I have busted thru some big drifts before with mine. Just be careful that they aren't hard packed/wet/frozen. You'll mess up your truck. How big of a truck do you have? I have a 8'2'' poly vee and I love it. Are you thinking a poly or steel? XT or regular vee?
47 Dual stage blower
54 Blade converted to a push box

My Ebling- http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=109569

My you tube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/Fireguy1020?feature=mhum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRONKEMA GHTFD View Post
UM
Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 PM
2000 Club Member

The only thing you sometimes need to worry about is when you bust through the drift and back up you don't get to much snow behind the plow backing up.

www.grandviewlandscaping.com

Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM

I've got a 2002 2500 Dodge Cummins. The blade that I'm looking at is a 2001 - 9'2" RT2 'V' Blade Plow it's a steel plow, regular V, I think? The gut that has it had it mounted on a 3500 but I think I can put some timbrens on the front and pack the extra weight.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM

I've got a 9'2" V steel on my 05 2500. Surprisingly the front of the truck only drops an inch. I actually measured it after I put the plow on. I think the weight of the plow is on 838lbs excluding the mount. The truck in my sig is what I am running. I went from a Hiniker 8'6" v which weighted 928lb before the mount, so going bigger and lighter is a benefit for me.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins QC LB 6SP., 4.5" Lift, SuperChips Flashpaq & Firefly, K&N Intake, 6" stack, Boss 9'2" V Plow (w/ them BIG OLE headlights), SnowEx 7500 spreader, SoundOff Pinnacle Lightbar, SoundOff under cover LED flashers

Old 08-09-2009, 07:11 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo151 View Post
I've got a 2002 2500 Dodge Cummins. The blade that I'm looking at is a 2001 - 9'2" RT2 'V' Blade Plow it's a steel plow, regular V, I think? The gut that has it had it mounted on a 3500 but I think I can put some timbrens on the front and pack the extra weight.
I go through drifts with the V in the scoop position. Some Timbrens and about 600 lbs in the back would be a good idea.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:41 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
I go through drifts with the V in the scoop position.
Interesting.......

I love my Vee. Bought it for two particular accounts. One is 1/2 mile road through a blueberry field beside a lake. One little dip usually has two feet of snow in. It's fun to blast through in Vee.

The other is a "up a hill around a corner" deal. Drifting is not so bad, except sometimes at the top, but it's nice to knock it out in Vee.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
I go through drifts with the V in the scoop position.
If you go through them with the truck in a forward gear, that isn't necessary.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 AM

does anyone have a preference between ploy or steel? i know the poly is suposed to let snow slide off more smoothly and its the same color all the way through, so it looks good even with scuffs and knicks...but i can imagine its as strong as the steel....what do you guys think, poly or steel-what do you go with, help a newbie
Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityTommy View Post
does anyone have a preference between ploy or steel? i know the poly is suposed to let snow slide off more smoothly and its the same color all the way through, so it looks good even with scuffs and knicks...but i can imagine its as strong as the steel....what do you guys think, poly or steel-what do you go with, help a newbie
The Boss poly blades are as impact resistant as the steel ones but, they do have a tendency to fade when exposed to light for a period of time. Then they become pink!! When people ask me what I would buy, I always say poly!! Oh, and Boss discontinued the poly v plow (the non XT version) this year. So you can only get the Boss poly V in the XT version now unless your dealer has any left over or they got any of Boss' leftovers.
All your truck upfitting needs
www.americanequipment.us
Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 PM

I think getting a V will be great, Also I favor steel. I am not a big fan of the poly. They weigh more as well as fade. I have thought to myself a few times when I have dented my blade what would have happened if it was poly.

9.2 V steel.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:31 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford6.9 View Post
I think getting a V will be great, Also I favor steel. I am not a big fan of the poly. They weigh more as well as fade. I have thought to myself a few times when I have dented my blade what would have happened if it was poly.

9.2 V steel.
Somewhere around here there is a pic of a branch through a poly blade. Many people say the poly blades are no better at shedding sticky snow, maybe even worse.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.