Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Michigan State Law for snowplowing?

Hey guys,
i got pulled over this mronign when i was out driving because the officer was upset my business name was not displayed on my truck. He also tried to get me for not having a plow license in the city i was in, but i was not activly plowing when he pulled me over..just driving.

He said according to michigan law a commercial vehicle needs to have its business name, city, and state labled on each side if it has a gross weight over 5,000 lbs.

Has anyone delt with this before? How much does the ticket run? (He could not tell me apperantly)

Also as I am worried about it, do we need DOT numbers? He never said anything about that...but iw ant to cover myself. Also someone told me about special license plates for commerial business/plow use? Anyone know much about that? Right now its just under my persoanl name...

thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Cop had some correct concepts but no idea what he was talking about. Did you get any ticket at all? Yes, get truck lettered up, including DOT number. The number is free to acquire.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Cop had some correct concepts but no idea what he was talking about. Did you get any ticket at all? Yes, get truck lettered up, including DOT number. The number is free to acquire.
Yeah he wrote me a citation for violating michigan motor vehicle code numver MVC 257.723
He could not tell me how much it cost or anything just said call the court and they will tell me how much i have to pay and that I need to pay within 10 days.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM

what city were you in. I see alot of trucks with no names on them running around. He probably figured you had all kinds of money for the amount of times we have plowed this season
Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Time LC View Post
what city were you in. I see alot of trucks with no names on them running around. He probably figured you had all kinds of money for the amount of times we have plowed this season
I was driving thru Wyoming. I think he tried to get me on the fact that in wyoming they require a plowing license and I dont have one...but i was not operating just driving...
Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnman883 View Post
Hey guys,
i got pulled over this mronign when i was out driving because the officer was upset my business name was not displayed on my truck. He also tried to get me for not having a plow license in the city i was in, but i was not activly plowing when he pulled me over..just driving.

He said according to michigan law a commercial vehicle needs to have its business name, city, and state labled on each side if it has a gross weight over 5,000 lbs.

Has anyone delt with this before? How much does the ticket run? (He could not tell me apperantly)

Also as I am worried about it, do we need DOT numbers? He never said anything about that...but iw ant to cover myself. Also someone told me about special license plates for commerial business/plow use? Anyone know much about that? Right now its just under my persoanl name...

thanks!
I see tons of guys driving around here (Lansing / East Lansing area)with trucks that have got to gross over 5k, and they don't have lettering, or DOT numbers on them.

Perhaps that is a country or local ordinance. My best advice would be to go to your nearest State Police precinct and see what they can find. Usually State PD can find out the laws and things.

Newbie to plowing
Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM

I know i was looking today and half of the plow trucks i saw today had no info displayed on them either...i wonder if this cop was planning to get me for somethign else..
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnman883 View Post
I know i was looking today and half of the plow trucks i saw today had no info displayed on them either...i wonder if this cop was planning to get me for somethign else..
I was just thinking the same thing
Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

As I understand it, and I could be wrong , here in NJ if you have commercial plates you are supposed to be lettered, never heard of anyone getting a ticket though. As far as DOT numbers if you register over 10,000lbs you need numbers and a dot health card. In Hackensack where I have 7 accounts and is where my shop is you need to be liscensed by the town, must provide ins info, DL #s for all drivers, plate #s for all vehicles that "may be engaged in snow or ice control operations" and the kicker is the SSN for every driver. Oh and 250 for the permit plus 25 per after the first truck registered, if you hold the contract you can cover subs if you are covering their ins, if not they need their own #........Seems to me like a way for the city to make a few grand a year...........
Old 01-12-2009, 05:45 PM

I've heard all about that cop!!!! DOT, Truck Route, plow licenses, and now Display of Business Info???!!!!!!

This guy must have a chip on his shoulder, sounds like he needs a hobby!!!! Doesn't he know Marge's Donut Den is right there on 28th!!!!!!!

I avoid Wyoming if at all possible

Good Luck
Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
2000 Club Member

Sounds like big brother is trying to screw the little guy again. City licence to plow? WTF Now I have heard it all. I can see DOT # and health card but next I suppose we are going to all have to wear the same clothing.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 PM

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...egulations.htm

Sounds like Wyoming is a lot like Connecticut.....
www.offroad-imports.com
Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdenflooring View Post
I've heard all about that cop!!!! DOT, Truck Route, plow licenses, and now Display of Business Info???!!!!!!

This guy must have a chip on his shoulder, sounds like he needs a hobby!!!! Doesn't he know Marge's Donut Den is right there on 28th!!!!!!!

I avoid Wyoming if at all possible

Good Luck
I was going to plow my buddy's driveway too...i was on my way to my fulltime job in my uniform and all and was not driving bad i was under the speed limit and he decided it was time to write me up for something...

He did check the wrong box on the ticket saying i violated a local ordanance, while the book he gave me said i violated a state law...maybe i can get it thrown out since he made a mistake on the ticket?? lol
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
2000 Club Member

DA will throw that out in a heart beat as they have better things to worry about. You just have to waste a day in court house. No money for your time.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Did he show you the law?? What did the book say??

I just had to buy plates and while at the Sec State I called 888-464-8736 and the officer I spoke with said commercial plates are not required until truck weight is 8000# - nothing to do with DOT #, strictly the commercial plate.

I told him I was in construction, we do haul and are very often over 10000, which requires the DOT #.

I'd like to see what he violated you for. Wyoming and Jenny can kiss my butt, we drive thru there with a plow on and I'm sure we'll be hassled.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer1901 View Post
Did he show you the law?? What did the book say??

I just had to buy plates and while at the Sec State I called 888-464-8736 and the officer I spoke with said commercial plates are not required until truck weight is 8000# - nothing to do with DOT #, strictly the commercial plate.

I told him I was in construction, we do haul and are very often over 10000, which requires the DOT #.

I'd like to see what he violated you for. Wyoming and Jenny can kiss my butt, we drive thru there with a plow on and I'm sure we'll be hassled.
He showed me in the commercial book MVC 257.723. Thats what he wrote me up for.

So if my truck can handle up to 9900lbs, do I need commercial plates? Empty i dont weigh over 8,000...
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Sounds like sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane on the dukes of hazzard. (maybe he needed his driveway plowed ... hehe) that wyoming area is crazy for the law enforcement... are they still charging service calls (police) if your in an accident and NOT from wyoming . not sure how he can give a ticket when your not plowing,,,, as long as truck was legally road worthy...cheers !!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 PM

He WILL show up to court to fight it.......he has nothing better to do!!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamelfire View Post
DA will throw that out in a heart beat as they have better things to worry about. You just have to waste a day in court house. No money for your time.
I personally know of 2 cases in Wyoming similar to this. It's only 1 cop who enforces these "silly" laws. Same guy both times.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM

what a suck ftick

www.circlecitysnowandice.com