Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Plow "feet"

New to plowing, and wondering about the plow feet. I've gotten different info from people on when to use, them, or to just take them off for good. Any advantages to using them, or removing them? They have a bunch of washers on each which I assume is for adjuasting for cutting edge wear. How should I set them?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM

shoes

Take them and put them on your desk great paper weight
2007 GMC LBZ D-Max 2500 HD Boss 9.2 VXT
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 PM

shoes

Don't you think they would be helpful on gravel driveways? Not grabbing as many stones as your plowing? I am new here too, so any input would be helpful to me too.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticCat1 View Post
Don't you think they would be helpful on gravel driveways? Not grabbing as many stones as your plowing? I am new here too, so any input would be helpful to me too.
I plow an 800+ foot sloped gravel driveway and the associated ditch area. After plowing it for 23 years, nothing has improved my plowing as much as the 2" pipe yard guard. Thank you Avitare for the suggestions. Check out the yard guard thread at http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.p...d+guard&page=3

My current vehicle is a 1971 CJ5 with a 225CID odd-fire V6, HEI ignition, Heddman headers, 390 Holley 4 barrell, FlowKooler high capacity waterpump, 100 amp Proform alternator, Optima battery, T14 3 speed transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and a Dana 27 in front. More pictures can be seen at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2608975/1

Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 AM

throw em under your work bench. Snow plows are made to move snow so there is little as possible snow left, not leave a nice layer of snow to sit and get iced and slippery. JMO
Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM

You’ll need the feet if you plow over gravel. Early and late in the season (before the ground freezes hard), you’ll just tear up the gravel and end up pushing a lot of it with the snow if you don't use the feet.

As for adjusting them, I usually set them ¾-1” below the blade initially. Trial and error works too

I need to check out the “yard guard” Thanks magik235
Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Don't listen

to anyone who tells you to plow without the plow shoes.

The shoes are designed to take the weight of the plow, rather than your cutting edge.

Besides making it harder to push (due to excessive friction), letting the plow ride on the cutting edge will just wear it down for no reason.

Let the shoes take the load.. that's why every plow maker puts them on the plows to begin with. Yeah, so you will leave 1/2" of snow.. big deal.

Much cheaper to replace a couple of shoes (actually, we used to just weld some angle iron on 'em to replace the steel that had worn away) than to replace the cutting edge.

Again, if they were of no use none of the manufacturers would put them on the plows.. but they ALL do.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM
2000 Club Member

12 years plowing and NEVER used shoes. Real pita
Drop the plow all the way down then just hit the raise buton one time on the controller and that will let you lleave the gravel on the road
Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 PM

I've plowed with and without them. I prefer to use the shoes when plowing gravel drives
Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM

The yard guard link in my first reply does not work.
The yard guard thread is http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=47451&page=3.

Last edited by magik235; 01-12-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
2000 Club Member

I have no idea where my shoes are even at. For gravel I just drop it down and go if everything is froze and there is a layer of packed snow on the gravel, otherwise I drop it down then pick it back up a tiny bit and go if the gravel isn't froze.

Chevy 2500HD
Takeuchi TL230

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
and I thought I was stupid
Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM

plowed with and without...
feet do save on tearing up the cutting edge. most of my plow work is asphalt or concrete, i have feet both plows that get used, the spare plow don't have feet....
Old 01-12-2009, 10:01 PM

I have a client who fired the last guy for useing shoes on his gravel drive you have to back drag the whole thing down around the corner on a cliff. Side note I had to have my buddy pull me off the cliff edge with his wrecker the other day, and what would you know no camera. Anyway if the ground is soft they tear the ground up way more than lifting the blade up a hair, or letting it float to back drag. I think that I asked the same question not to long ago.

02 F-250 SD 7.3 diesel
8' Meyers plow
Airflow MSS spreader
http://www.snowaway.us
Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt1 View Post
to anyone who tells you to plow without the plow shoes.

The shoes are designed to take the weight of the plow, rather than your cutting edge.

Besides making it harder to push (due to excessive friction), letting the plow ride on the cutting edge will just wear it down for no reason.

Let the shoes take the load.. that's why every plow maker puts them on the plows to begin with. Yeah, so you will leave 1/2" of snow.. big deal.

Much cheaper to replace a couple of shoes (actually, we used to just weld some angle iron on 'em to replace the steel that had worn away) than to replace the cutting edge.

Again, if they were of no use none of the manufacturers would put them on the plows.. but they ALL do.
You don't have to use the shoes just because they came with the plow. I totally disagree. My plow also came with a flags and crosshairs to help me line up to mount the plow correctly. Am I required to use that as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowaway View Post
I have a client who fired the last guy for useing shoes on his gravel drive you have to back drag the whole thing down around the corner on a cliff. Side note I had to have my buddy pull me off the cliff edge with his wrecker the other day, and what would you know no camera. Anyway if the ground is soft they tear the ground up way more than lifting the blade up a hair, or letting it float to back drag. I think that I asked the same question not to long ago.
Sounds more like the last guy plowing this customer left because he didn't like back dragging on a cliff. Not a drive I'd want!

Anyway, you don't need the shoes.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 AM

KWest,

Like you, I am a newbie and had the same question last year when I began. What I've found, in my limited experience, is that the shoes are helpful on the gravel early in the year before there is any kind of base. Easier for me to plow with the shoes on than it is to keep the blade raised a hair, as my gravel driveway is uneven in a whole bunch of places. Once there is a base in place, or when I need to get down into some ice, the shoes can come off.

On the other hand, I have taken to keeping the shoes on at a height of about 3/4 of an inch sometimes because I want to plow in a way that makes for good sledding for my son.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 AM

I've been plowing with all kinds of plows for 30 years and have yet to find a use for shoes on the plow. For the guy concerned about wearing out his cutting edge, we are in the non-commercial forum here, I don't think anybody is wearing out a cutting plowing a few driveways. Even if you go to the commercial forum I'd bet at least 95% never use shoes even if it means a new cutting edge every year.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it becomes a question of preference and whats works for what I'll be plowing.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Plow feet

KWest, couldn't agree more!!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 PM
2000 Club Member

I always run shoes on my plow, unless the snow is very packed/frozen. I plow primarily paver and paved/concrete drives- plowing without shoes on pavers = a lot of damage- been running shoes the past 2 years on all of mine- no problems (knock on wood)
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD W/T 4x4 DMAX/ALLISON, G80, 9' Mason Dump, No plow as of yet
My Snow Equipment:
-'06 Bobcat MT-52 mini skidsteer- Diesel
-'06 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 ATV w/winch, 54" plow.
-'14 Ariens Pro 32" Snowblower- beast!
-Toro Powerclear 180
-Lots of shovels!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWest View Post
Thanks for the info. It sounds like it becomes a question of preference and whats works for what I'll be plowing.
What ever works for you. I like the shoes, as stated earlier, in the early part of Winter when the ground may not be frozen. I have a drive that has a flat concrete apron than the drive dips down into gravel. Without shoes on I scrape off a lot of gravel. With the shoes it just floats along the terrain. After a good freeze, no shoes.

But again whatever works for you.