Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2008, 07:40 PM

HELP! what the best way to plow this lot??

Hey guys I'm new to plowing and so I am subbing this year. I am assigned to plow this lot. I'm doing it by myself except for the sidewalks. Its got tons of islands as you can see and its an irregular shaped lot. I'm plowing with 7' 6" Blizzard straight blade on an F-250.

How should i go about plowing it? Any pointers would really help!
Name:  Vince&joes1.JPG
Views: 2950
Size:  31.4 KB
Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
2000 Club Member

No offense man but if this is your first year ever plowing thats a tough on to start with. Especially with a 7-6 footer
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Don't take this personally but that is NOT a "new to plowing" property. Islands suck, in a deep/whiteout snow they can turn a OK day rotten in about 1 second. Not to mention cars. Also, I would think a 8 or 9' V plow or better yet a loader would be more appropriate. Good luck though, keep us posted.
2001 Dodge Ram 3500, Western Pro Plow & Spreader

www.MnDLawn.com

Last edited by MnDLawn; 12-02-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

where are you allowed to put the snow? Going to be tough without a V plow.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Ouch. That look like a loader lot to me

Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM

I hope you are scheduled to be throughout the entire event. JMO
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM

look's like ur gonna have to plow it all to the island's and stack it up.. just let them know that they will lose some space's when the big snow;s come.... or just break down and get a SS w/ a utility bucket.. plow w/ ur truck first.... than move the snow to other area's of the parking lot... Stack'em nice and high!

2009 F250 5.4 V-8<--- TOTALED
2010 F250 6.8L V-10 Extended cab short bed, silver
Western Wide-Out
Western 2500 Spreader
Ariens snow thrower @ stage
Toro Blower Signal Stage
Shovels
Old 12-02-2008, 08:41 PM

14' snowpusher on a loader , and 1 truck

86 gmc 3500 dump 9' fisherplow,
fisher SS pro caster spreader- for sale
JD 310sg 4X4 backhoe-for sale
SP12' Pro-tech Snow Pusher-for sale
S175 Bobcat Skid Loader

Don't lift till it sounds expensive
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
2000 Club Member

This is going to be tough. That's a huge lot for relatively small pickup. I don't think you're going to be able to carry snow from the building all the way to the grass, especially with curve going the wrong way. I would start at the main entrance and start pushing out. Go as far as you can, then go outbound and push back to your pile. I would recommend about a million stakes, that you can really see. Is your ground frozen yet? Call the guy your subbing to and ask who did it last year, what equipment, and where they made piles. Maybe they can move you to a couple of smaller lots. That would be more suited to your truck.

Truck has engine, transmission, transfer case. Tires on rims bolted to axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfd9
As for your question, the only thing you missed is him answering the question you posed and him completely ignoring the fact that he didn't answer it. .

When you hear hoofbeats look for horses, not zebras.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM

its not super bad, but with a 7 1/2 footer youll be there for some loooong time. Everything all really depends on where you are able to pile the snow. Find out where they want the snow, i would not really think they would allow it on all of the islands if any and besides the fact the islands look super small so you would need to stack way high but again you would need a loader to get em high enough. Can you give us a little more info?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLawn View Post
Hey guys I'm new to plowing and so I am subbing this year. I am assigned to plow this lot. I'm doing it by myself except for the sidewalks. Its got tons of islands as you can see and its an irregular shaped lot. I'm plowing with 7' 6" Blizzard straight blade on an F-250.

How should i go about plowing it? Any pointers would really help!
Attachment 46526
How much are you getting paid for this lot.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 PM
2000 Club Member

thats a tuff lot, granted i have seen way harder, and do way harder

i would plow the middle angle part first start from the center and windrow towards each side, stack on the islands as you go, then move out ward basicly

id buy the best set of wings moveny can buy
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 PM

rotsa ruck.

If someone is subbing YOU to do this lot, you got took big time. hope theres a good chunk of change in it for you.if you can't hire some subs to help you- upgrade to a v plow or blizzard with wing & scoop action. You'll still be there for a good 4 hrs or more if you do it solo

Last edited by yardsmith; 12-02-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 PM

I wouldn't plow that lot without a loader w/10' box. Way too big for just a pickup.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 AM

That lot would be big for a truck without a V and wings but here's how I would do it, assuming they let you pile all along the outter edges. You need to basically think of the front part as 4 separte sections (main drive, center lot, left lot and right lot). Then the sides and rear are easy after front is done.

- start by plowing out the half circle main drive and wind-rowing it towards the center of the lot.
- Divide the middle triangle into 2 lots basically and push each "half" to their respective main isles left and right. You will have to be patient with your straight blade and move all the snow to the openings that lead to the main aisles.
- Next plow down the main isles you just put the snow from the center lot into windrowing towards each "side lot" that is still unplowed. Then chose a "side lot" to begin on and start at the side closest the the main drive you alread plowed windrow the snow towards the open field looking area.

Hope this all makes sense. Really tired right now and this is the best I can do til i get some sleep
Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 AM

If you've never plowed before, whomever assigned you to that lot is an idiot, not blaming you. Since it sounds like it's your job, the wings, as mentioned would be a good place to start. I would spend some time there when it's not snowing and study the traffic patterns for AM rush, lunch, PM rush and any possible shift changes...get a good sense of what to expect and when, that will help you to build a mental strategy when things get rough...when the high traffic is going on you want to be more in the lower parking areas farthest from the building, having spaces already clear closer to the building. Always keep an awareness as to whats going on with those areas closer to the building and the entrances and exits. I would also recommend plowing in circles around the building, out the exit and back in the entrance, working your way out from the building. Do that on all 4 until you can't go any further w/ that pattern. Then try changing patterns and you may find that you can do the same thing on most of the remaining lot. After the bulk of the work is done you can go back to touch up and tuck the piles in better, get those random parking spaces, etc. I plow much more complex lots than that one and use the methods I explained on most. Generally it's safer, faster, and much less wear and tear on the drive train. If your not used to plowing around parked and moving cars coming at you from different directions, this will also give you a piece of mind when it hits the fan. Remember, peoples IQ's drop in the early AM and are creatures of habit, I generally know what a moving car is going to do before they do...because they aren't looking for you... I'm also not a big fan of flashers unless it's low visibility, they work as a magnet and tell all the dumb sheep "Hey, come follow me, I'm clearing a nice fresh path"...and so they follow and pull up behind you when you do have to back up...expect it! It takes a lot of practice but eventually you won't be bothered much by traffic, and they won't hate you as much either. You will also find that the patterns you use won't always work and have to be changed from time to time, depending on what time of day it is, how big the piles are getting, when the UPS truck or other deliveries are parked in the middle of the isle, etc...Common sense goes a long way but don't expect others to use it...learn to drive and plow on the defense and work on your skills and slow down if you have to. Go and find a big open lot somewhere thats glazed over and practice driving in reverse (just don't practice in that one)...good luck!!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 AM

thanks for the help so far guys, I know, i feel like i got screwed on this one. They said I cannot stack snow on the islands near the building. They want 90% of the snow on the perimeters.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Minimum, you'll need some wings on your plow to carry snow
Old 12-03-2008, 08:08 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

I'd do it like MustangMike says above.
Most of it should push to the outsides with some cleanup onto the islands.
You simply need wings, you aren't going to be able to stack it on those islands without them.

as MM says, do the near the buidling part first, then the middle, that gives you space when people start coming in, and hopefully they don't park on top of you (although you'll see, they will. )

Get wings

all gone
another Obama business success story.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 PM

if u have the $$$$ get a Wide Out........ or a Vplow and put extensions on it

2009 F250 5.4 V-8<--- TOTALED
2010 F250 6.8L V-10 Extended cab short bed, silver
Western Wide-Out
Western 2500 Spreader
Ariens snow thrower @ stage
Toro Blower Signal Stage
Shovels