Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 AM

boss or western

i am trying to get the pro's and con's of booth western and boss. i used the western for the past 5 years but my brother just got a boss and is telling me that it has good down pressure for back dragging. i was thinking about the new mvp pro my western. any thoughts feel free to share
Old 02-17-2008, 08:22 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skferreri View Post
my brother just got a boss and is telling me that it has good down pressure for back dragging. i was thinking about the new mvp pro my western.
Boss's don't have actual hydraulic down pressure....

Do you have a Boss as well as a Western dealer in your area?

Generally you want to with which ever has the best service. Make's all the difference later down the road on which plow you wished you would have bought.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 PM

western by far

I plowed with a western for many years and when I bought my new truck the local dealer was backed up for a month before he could get one on my truck. Well I needed a plow like yesterday so I went down the street to the Boss dealer and got a comparable plow same money and was put on that night. Sorry to tell ya but I have only had it for two years and I cant stand it. For starters its harder to hookup than the western because you have to be within the one inch saddle for the hooks to line up. Then the controller has odd buttons for the side to side, and the up and down is a small button and the side/side has larger ones so at first every time I hit the up button I would hit one of the side buttons as well. The damn thing was dancing all over the place. Also if you hit the up button twice in a row the plow raises up all the way. Everytime I go do a gravel lot and try to find that sweet spot so I am not gouging well next thing you know the plow is raising all the way up and I got to stop backup and start over. Also it doesnt have the floating side to side like the western does. Also the headlights on the western auto switch when the plow is hooked up. On the Boss you have to have a seperate switch installed not that big of a deal but still one less thing to worry about when hooking up. I guess the boss plow is not a bad plow it still does the job but I am definatly going with a western from now on.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
2000 Club Member

Boss is by far the best plow ive ever used. the hook up to me is the easiest thing you could want. i can have it hooked up in under 30 seconds. the hydros are 10 times faster than even the new fishers and westerns who claim to have fast hydros. check out the vid i posted a while back about how fast my plow is.
Smoothbore2004- i think your problem with the controls were that you were using the handheld. i admit i hate that thing and bought the joystick. its so precise, fast and theres no excess play when u stop pressing left or right.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 PM

Oh and also

I forgot about the other things, On the Boss if you have electrical problems then your hookup or unhookup is shot to hell. If you break down in the field your stuck with a Boss due to the lift cylinder is the only thing controlling the up and down, On a western if you break down you can manually lift it and rechain it and you can go back to the shop and fix whatever is wrong. I also have had a leak coming from my vent cap that nobody can seem to figure out, No I am not over filling as a matter a fact it keeps needing fluid because its leaking out the vent cap. The only thing I hated about western was they had a problem for a couple years where there welds kept breaking and the paint was not holding up after a couple years. But supposedly they have corrected this problem. Give you a perfect example one year my tower, thats right my tower broke at the welds in the field during a storm and I was able to unhook get it in the back of my truck, with help of others and western sent me a whole new tower at no charge and the dealer put it on for me, The plow was 3.5 years old and way out of warrenty, the dealer said western told them that should have never broke and they will replace it at no cost. I was shocked. Hope this helps and no I dont get a commission from western.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HD BOSS View Post
Smoothbore2004- i think your problem with the controls were that you were using the handheld. i admit i hate that thing and bought the joystick. its so precise, fast and theres no excess play when u stop pressing left or right.
100% agree, if he ran the joystick I think he'd like it much much better...I dont like the Boss hand helds either.

Or any plow brands hand helds for that matter.

And you can short chain a Boss...
Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothbore2004 View Post
I plowed with a western for many years and when I bought my new truck the local dealer was backed up for a month before he could get one on my truck. Well I needed a plow like yesterday so I went down the street to the Boss dealer and got a comparable plow same money and was put on that night. Sorry to tell ya but I have only had it for two years and I cant stand it. For starters its harder to hookup than the western because you have to be within the one inch saddle for the hooks to line up. Then the controller has odd buttons for the side to side, and the up and down is a small button and the side/side has larger ones so at first every time I hit the up button I would hit one of the side buttons as well. The damn thing was dancing all over the place. Also if you hit the up button twice in a row the plow raises up all the way. Everytime I go do a gravel lot and try to find that sweet spot so I am not gouging well next thing you know the plow is raising all the way up and I got to stop backup and start over. Also it doesnt have the floating side to side like the western does. Also the headlights on the western auto switch when the plow is hooked up. On the Boss you have to have a seperate switch installed not that big of a deal but still one less thing to worry about when hooking up. I guess the boss plow is not a bad plow it still does the job but I am definatly going with a western from now on.

did you forget your toe warmers for your slippers today? it sounds like you love western, you should probabaly get rid of your boss and go get yourself a new western. hoestly if you guys love western and have been using them for ?? years dont change. boss's are great plows, westerns are great plows but stick with what works and works for you.........as long as its not yellow
Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 AM

I say grab an Artic , Lot less initial investment up front and the plows are as durable as anyone else's , also this is the first plow I have ever owned that was not producing rust in the first 2 years ,
Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 AM

same

QUOTE=terrapro;519761]

did you forget your toe warmers for your slippers today? it sounds like you love western, you should probabaly get rid of your boss and go get yourself a new western. hoestly if you guys love western and have been using them for ?? years dont change. boss's are great plows, westerns are great plows but stick with what works and works for you.........as long as its not yellow[/QUOTE]

Toe warmers is exactly what I need when I am always outside messin with the Boss, As for slippers well I am not the one with a nice sunset as my profile pic.
As for the loving the western yeah I do prefer it as was stated in the original post and I would of got one again but due to time restraints I made a poor judgement call and went with boss, as was stated in the original post. I would love to get rid of the Boss but cant find anybody that wants it HMMM wonder why.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:27 AM
2000 Club Member

No one that wants it, I would buy that Boss in a hearbeat if you were closer. But I am going with an 8 foot tripedge for me. Sorry to hear you dont like your Boss.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:46 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothbore2004 View Post

Toe warmers is exactly what I need when I am always outside messin with the Boss, As for slippers well I am not the one with a nice sunset as my profile pic.
As for the loving the western yeah I do prefer it as was stated in the original post and I would of got one again but due to time restraints I made a poor judgement call and went with boss, as was stated in the original post. I would love to get rid of the Boss but cant find anybody that wants it HMMM wonder why.
actually its a sunrise

GO BOSS!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Smoothboro What Boss plow do you have I might be interested in taking it off your hands for you
Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 PM

Boss

Hey Wieckster I have a 8' super duty XT that was bought in 2006. And for the record I dont think BOss plows suck I was just pointing out the differences in the two plows. One thing I can say about the boss plow is its durability in construction. I did compare to the difference in the western and the Boss on construction and as for the Pro plow the Boss beats it by far. But Westerns Pro plus came out and was better than the Boss but the price jumped up as well. So plow for plow the boss was better in construction than the Western but I liked the features of the western myself.
Now as for selling my Boss sure what kind of money are we looking at? I have it hooked up to a 2004 2500HD Chevy. Hope it works out for you I would love to get rid of it. Give me a call (219) 608-4665