Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Suzuki LTZ400 Quad Sport ATV and Plowing Snow???

Hey,

Does anyone know or even tried putting a ATV plow on a quad sport ATV before and it work with pushing snow? I have Suzuki ltz400 sport atv and heard this is a possibility from a friend of mine. I have not personally seen this bike and if it works but he claims it does push snow. I believe he has chains on the tires since there is no 4x4 so traction is important especially for the rear. Just thought I would inquire???
Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

HAHA, not a chance would a Z push snow . not nearly enough weight in the back. I am sure its possible to put one on but it wouldnt be able to do anything with it. To be honest I bet it wouldnt even really move with the blade up
Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPlowing View Post
Hey,

Does anyone know or even tried putting a ATV plow on a quad sport ATV before and it work with pushing snow? I have Suzuki ltz400 sport atv and heard this is a possibility from a friend of mine. I have not personally seen this bike and if it works but he claims it does push snow. I believe he has chains on the tires since there is no 4x4 so traction is important especially for the rear. Just thought I would inquire???
Yea it will work fine.. just put a set if Timbren's on it and it should be fine. Just make sure that you don't go any bigger than a 7.5 foot straight blade...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist..... I wouldn't even THINK about it.... I had a Z400 with more ALL KINDS of silly upgrades... in the snow, it would not move PERIOD... unless a little bit of weight was in the rear... I don't think its a good idea...
Heavy foot with a shallow wallet
Old 01-12-2008, 03:16 PM

have a look at this i personly think it could be done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM7HaFBcRik
Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM

I'm still not banking on that working, I have a 400ex and it already is squirrely in the back end when your riding it, so how would more weight on the front make it better in the snow? I would have to agree with the call for timbrens though.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM

i would say it is do-able, compared to a garden tractor i have, may have to add heavier ply tires to rear, 2 link v bar chains, load the rear tires, add wheel weights, add a weight box to rear. if unit has a rear diff lock, that would be a plus. if you can scrounge some parts and do some fabrication, that would help cost wise, and dont drive it like a fool.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
have a look at this i personly think it could be done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM7HaFBcRik
hahaah never thought it was possible.......
Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
2000 Club Member

did you see it when it was pushing some weight it looked like it was hitting a wall. and decent snow and it will take forever to clean a small drive...imo
Old 01-22-2008, 03:32 PM

I know a guy by me that has a home made blade on his Honda 250EX I think is what it is, or the 300EX, It works alright for snow 4" and lower. Bigger snow than that and he use's his 2 stage Blower. But for small snow falls the ATV is faster and more fun than the Blower that is big and bulky and a bear to start. He just add's some weight to the back of the ATV and away he goes.

I never seen the Quad but he say's it works for him.

sublime out.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:48 AM

I would NOT even consider putting a plow on the LTZ400. They are nice quads, but no.

Heck, the Eiger, has the same engine, is what I have. I can plow in 2wd with under 2" of snow. Over that I start going sideways in just 4x2. Now, 4x4, with no weight on the back, I can do 8-10" easily.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Hey,A buddy of mine has a sport atv with a blade on it(not to wide) and it does work to a point.He took two old snowmobile tracks(with studs) shortened and bolted the ends together to suit tire dia.Made a fitting for shopvac(sucked tire air out)slipped the tracks over,centered up and presto ,better traction.His biggest problem is the way these machines are geared(made to go fast)He always seams to be on the clutch.It WILL work but how well is debatable.