Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 PM

Snoway hydraulic problem with history

Hi,.. I have a Snoway plow that I bought new in 1987. It was originally on a ScoutII. Now it is on my Ford Bronco. I welded up the change over. Problem now is that the plow will not change position right to left. It will go left to right and up and down. I did not get any information from the company where I bought it on how to service it.
It was DH Thomas and they closed down shortly after.

I have not ever changed the hydraulic oil. However, I have added ATF to the hydro fluid only because the fluid looked red like ATF. Could that be the problem?. I know that Snoway and others make specific oils but I have no directions on which to use. In addition,... how bout a suggestion on what oil to use that I might be able to get at Farm n Fleet? How bout Case hydraulic oil or John Deere?

My expectation and hope is that I need to change the fluid and that's it but I don't know. It is not an electrical problem as the pump runs with each electric switch position but will not move right and left.

The plow is older, has been used, repaired mostly by welding. A frame broke in half one year,.. top rail rusted off last year but still,.. that plow works well.
Any suggestions.?/
You can email me too... kewx@insightbb.com

kw
Old 01-01-2008, 03:00 PM
2000 Club Member

Check to make sure the control switch is working.
check to see if your getting juice to the coil on the pump.

What's your serial number?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM

Snoway hydraulic problem with history

The problem is not electric. The pump runs in all switch positions.

Now,.. I took off the right side hydraulic hose at the ram and pressed the switch. The pump runs, no hydraulic fluid comes out.

So,.. how is this repaired,... anyone know?
kw
Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM

The pump is a Monarch 683.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM

Could still be an electrical problem. The switch in the cab controls the pump itself via the large relay and big cables. It also controls the valves (Cylinder looking parts with 1 or 2 small wires attached...14 or 16 guage). The motor runs anytime you move the switch UP, LEFT and RIGHT. The valves control where the fluid travels.

If you have not changed your fluid in the pump, then it is safe to say that you have not cleaned and greased the electrical connections. Also, if your fluid is really dirty and nasty it could be clogging your valves and or have enough moisture to freeze them.

I'd suggest putting the plow someplace warm, change the fluid, check and clean all the connections, then see what happens.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Also. You are not going to get the proper fluid at Farm & Fleet. I'd recomend finding a local Snow-Way dealer via their website. We have 3 Snow-Way plows in our fleet. We either run Snow-Way or Western fluid (Western only in a pinch) as plow fluid is designed for much lower temperature, and it combats moisture and freezing.

Anyway, I'm amazed that you've made it this long without a failure on your plow with no maintenance. You are truly lucky that's for sure.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewx View Post
The pump is a Monarch 683.
With this being a very old plow and having the Monarch 683 power unit, I would recommend that you contact Sno-Way tech support directly for advice on this unit. You can reach Steve at 262-223-4342.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 AM

snoway hydraulic problem with history

Actually, I have cleaned and greased the electrical conections a few times. I just haven't touched any wiring inside the unit. I have welded and reinforced the A frame when it broke in half and welded on a new top rail last season.

The plow really has performed well for these years and when I bought it,.. I pretty much paid a premium and it was worth it so far. I only plow my own (stuff) driveway and my office parking lot so,.. it is not used for lengthy plowing. However, my drive is 350' and the winter road out through the corn field is about 1/4 mile.
My parking lot is maybe 2500 sq ft.

I bouight it new in 87,... how used could it be????????
kw

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman1999 View Post
Could still be an electrical problem. The switch in the cab controls the pump itself via the large relay and big cables. It also controls the valves (Cylinder looking parts with 1 or 2 small wires attached...14 or 16 guage). The motor runs anytime you move the switch UP, LEFT and RIGHT. The valves control where the fluid travels.

If you have not changed your fluid in the pump, then it is safe to say that you have not cleaned and greased the electrical connections. Also, if your fluid is really dirty and nasty it could be clogging your valves and or have enough moisture to freeze them.

I'd suggest putting the plow someplace warm, change the fluid, check and clean all the connections, then see what happens.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:41 AM
2000 Club Member

Those old Monarchs are a joy to work on they have internal solenoids. Geting to the coils require draining and removing the tank to even get to the soliniolds. Not impossable but often best left to a dealer.
I'd guess it's a coil, but before you tear it a part get steve to send you wiring schematic and check the wiring. Make sure it dosen't have a bad switch or cut/broken wire somewhere and that the 12v go where 12v is suppose to go.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 PM

snoway hydraulic problem with history update

I did talk to Steve. That plow cannot be serviced by Snoway because it was made prior to current company ownership and was discontinued. I believe it was part of the Badgerline. Steve was really helpful and we had a nice discussion. Finally, he referred me to Monarch who made the motor. They still have parts etc.. but the closest service is 130 miles away.

I got some good ideas as to what I might try myself.

Steve did shock me when he told me the replacement cost of my plow. It is in the $4-5K range now. I don't know what I paid but at the time I though it was pricey. With no maintainence other than repair welding and cleaning the solenoid contacts,... the plow has not had maintenance since I bought it 18 years ago.

I will try a couple of things tonight when I get home and perhaps I can get it working. Steve Snoway or maybe Chris at Monarch did say to cycle the plow for 5 minutes and heat up the oil thereby getting the water on the bottom into suspension,.. then drain it. On my unit,.. ATF is what the thing called for. So,.. .I'm guessing that the Marvel Mystery Oil I added won't hurt anything. kw
Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 PM
2000 Club Member

That entire unit is easy to replace, though not in-expensive. You could try cycling Meyers Hydra flush through it. if it was working before you put it away the Hydra-Flush will lubricate and free up sticky valves.