Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Michigan Rates

I have been commercially Snow plowing for 3 years for a landscape company. I am planning on doing it for myself this year. I am planning on running a chevy 2500hd duramax with a bliazzard power plow. There is a good chance I can pick up some jobs from some of the large landscape companies in the area. Question is, what should I expect to get paid per hour for being a sub contractor? I just don't want to get taken or anything. I have heard of other people paying anywhere from $35-$70 per hour for a sub contractor? I am looking for Michigan people to help me out on this one as they know the rates for the area.

Also what are you guys charging for minimum drop fee for a resident? At my old company we charged like $25 for a basic two stall driveway. We avg about 24 nights a winter around here in the Hudsonville, Jenison, Allendale area.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 PM

Are you looking to sub to someone or are you wanting to work on your own?
Old 07-14-2007, 12:20 PM

Looking to do both, pick up a few jobs from a landscaper and pick up some jobs on my own.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:13 PM
2000 Club Member

I was subed to a guy in grand haven last winter and I got $30.00 an hour cash, and paid at the end of every month. I know some guys around here will get about $125.00 an hour and + for a front end loader. If some guys in the holland area are getting subed for $ 70.00 an hour lemme know from whom so I can get subed to them .
Old 07-14-2007, 08:10 PM

It's gonna be real hard to play on both sides of the fence. Maybe if you have residential that can be blown off for a day, you can get away with it, but what are you gonna do when we get Lake Effect bands at 4am???

I pay $30 and up (new guy + old straight blade = 30, experience + Vee = 40 to 45), depending on experience and truck. You work as little or much as you want - but, my stuff will get priority. A no call no show and you can take a hike.

I don't mean to sound harsh but some folks tend to think we'll get it plowed when we get there, we worked all night last nite, do we really have to plow again?? - that sorta thing.

We pay weekly, just delaying a week so paperwork has time to catch up. Check and 1099'd.

If you find 70/hr in Holland you better buy every truck you can and put em on the road, unless it's for a particular company

We're always looking for drivers

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 07-16-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 PM

This area is different across the board as far as rates go. The Lakeshore area is alittle bit lower then what the Grand Rapids. Our market has an oversaturation of competitation and companys not knowing how to bid plowing all together and willing to work for pennys.

With the equipment that you said that you have I would expect that you could get around $65-$80 per hour. Like Chuck said, if you are subbing for someone then their work should get done before your own. I would not stand for someone to leave one of my routes mid way through just because they have their own jobs.

Ryan, whos paying subs $70 an hour? For that kind of money, I'll quit plowing my own accounts and sub out all my trucks to someone else. I'd be willing to work for that and not have to deal with the bs or billing.
And $125 for a loader is that pushing or stacking?

Last edited by troy28282; 07-14-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the info, I am still trying to figure things out, figured I would look into stuff early before it got to late. I wanna get some residentials because they are easy to push off to the side till later, after the commercial stuff is done.

If there is anything else you guys can give me that would be awesome. Like I said I have plowed for 3 years and am looking to branch off and do it myself, just need some help on the bidding side, mainly just to stay clase with the other guys in the area, I dont want to low ball anyone. I can look at a parking lot and easily figure out how long it will take with different amounts of snow. Are you guys running at about $70-$75 per hour per truck? And about $25 for a basic driveway?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyguy04 View Post
Thanks for the info, I am still trying to figure things out, figured I would look into stuff early before it got to late. I wanna get some residentials because they are easy to push off to the side till later, after the commercial stuff is done.

If there is anything else you guys can give me that would be awesome. Like I said I have plowed for 3 years and am looking to branch off and do it myself, just need some help on the bidding side, mainly just to stay clase with the other guys in the area, I dont want to low ball anyone. I can look at a parking lot and easily figure out how long it will take with different amounts of snow. Are you guys running at about $70-$75 per hour per truck? And about $25 for a basic driveway?
I would be careful of that. You may not be able to push it off until later. I plowed a temple out and the rabbi lived across the street, he wanted his drive done. I finished plowing the temple out at like 3am. I didn't want to do his drive way then. I waited until about 8- 9am. Well that wasn't a good idea, he wasn't happy. He wanted it done when the snow stopped (at 3am)
I think your biting off more than you can chew. I would either work for someone or do your own, not both. You may get hit with 2 feet of snow, then what do you do. Tell your residentials you'll plow them out at the end of the week. Good luck Rich

2010 Dodge 2500 CCSB 6.7L Cummins
8' Boss Straight Blade

2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax- SOLD-
8'2" Boss V Plow- SOLD
Old 07-15-2007, 11:22 AM
2000 Club Member

I have my own accounts and I also plow for someone in the grand haven area. I plow one of my commercails first, that takes me about 2 hours and then I go plow for him for about 5hours and then I finish off with my accounts, about another 3 hours worth of work. I always do my residentails last. I figure that more that 3/4ths of them have 4x4 suvs and also that it is easier to plow commercail accounts without any cars in the way. (Most of the time anyway, there always seems to be one jagoff that leaves his car right in the middle of the lot or right in the way of where you push your snow.)

Ryan
Old 07-15-2007, 06:19 PM

There are alot of factors that go into pricing driveways. Like where it is located within the service area that you cover, the amount of obstacles at the residence, and what time the people want it cleared by. All these thing will determine the price. If you can get $25 for a regular driveway, thats great.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:49 PM

I'd love to know everyones rates in this area. I've heard a few, actually have seen two competitors quotes. It seems that there is a good variety on how things are bid in this area - season, hourly, push and push based on snowfall.

Seasonal last year was not the hot ticket. I personally think hourly has no rewards, why buy big trucks and vee blades??

Your hourly bid will vary by how you are gonna price it - for me a per push price verses hourly price will be different. Also, high traffic accounts will be more than a machine shop for instance. 80ish and hour per average should be a starting point, good luck and don't snake any of my accounts away
Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the replies, Anyone looking for someone to plow for them, I have a truck and a plow will be on the way, I have plowed for 3 years, have experience with straight blades, V-blades, blizzards (the best) and loaders. I know what I am doin, I am steady and efficient and try not to break stuff (joke). Like I said I would like to be a sub contractor for a company then also pick up some of my own stuff on the side, mainly just some residentials. Let me know if anyone is looking for a good plow service.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:52 PM

Give me a call sometime, I'm pretty busy the next few weeks.

What am I thinkin? A Chebie amongst a bunch of Fords??? At least it'd give us something more to talk about all nite.

Chuck 616-886-1506
Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Hey Framer, I will give you a call sometime in August, its a busy time for me too coming up here. Hey where are you located, like what city in west michigan here?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Chevyguy, that'd probably help hunh?? We're in Holland, all the commercial work is in Holland. We do currently have over 30 properties (homes) that need serviced, they range from Whitehall to Grandjunction - but I really have no idea how that is gonna work this winter.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

i have little experience. a straight blade. and wont drop my blade for under a hundred twenty five a hour. if someone wanted to sub to me the odds of me doing it for under a hundred a hour cash with no 1099 are slim to none. if you are letting me use your equipment however ill do it for 35 a hour cash.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Well Bri - good for you, we all want to make as much as possible, but you'd starve in West MI.

And working for cash?? That tells me that you and who ever you sub to more than likely are not a legit business. You see, legit business have to offset income with legit expenses.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 PM
PlowSite.com Addict

plowing isnt my business. its my passion. in all seriousness. i try not to take plowing too serious. a truck with piece of metal bolted to the front that can push frozen water droplets. doesnt seem to complicated. now if i started getting into bigger more expensive equipment with bigger returns i would say i might have a business. to say im not legit? not fair! just no way i would put in the cash to go LLC and do paperwork for a few k a year. HAHAHA
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 PM

Well there you go, you make a few k all year, we make that by 4am on the first nite and have 29 or so nites to go.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:00 AM
PlowSite.com Addict

yeah. i hear ya there. sound like you guys count on your money. if it dont snow. i still eat either way. i work a regular unrelated job. and also do loans as a side job. the plowing is because i have two driveways of my own to plow out, and my mothers driveway. so why not make some dollars to help pay for the expenses plowing some others out? since im using it to plow rental property im guessing i can deduct the cost incurred from the plow but havent talked to my accountant yet. i already deduct for a snowblower. he may give me a funny look since its only a duplex.