Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Old 05-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Swaping Fisher Minute Mount Set Ups

I'm looking at buying a 2500HD with the 8.1L and the Allison Trans. For some reason the guy who owned it only wanted a 71/2 blade on it. i dont really get it. that truck could push an 8 or 8-6 like nothing. so my question is can i sell my 7-6 minute mount set up and just simple buy a 8-6 setup with out rewiring or anything. are the push plates going to line up?

thanks
steve
Old 05-13-2007, 04:55 PM

That depends on what hydro pack you have. If it is an insta act (MM1 or MM2) a new setup attach to your push plates and wiring harness.

However if you have a MM2 why not just buy a new 8' or 8'6" blade. If you have an MM2 the only difference between all of the RD and HD (and X-blades too for that matter) is the blade itself.
1966 Chevrolet C-20

Anybody see a pattern here?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a three wire mm1. I don't know what an insta act is. perhaps that meens the three wire verse the two wire? If i just swap the blade itself, they dont get a biger pump or bigger hoses for the larger blades? Reason i'm confused is this is the first MM i've even thought about. i've been running on the cable hydro for years. so i really know nothing about the MM series. I remember in the old days just about everything was diffrent for a bigger blade. so i'm still thinking that way but it seems like your saying they changed that now (which would make sence)

thanks again
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Yeah, they changed quite a few things over the years. It used to be that the RD and HD plows used different push beams and A-frame. This prevented you from sliding an 8' or 9' foot blade on your half ton equipped for a 7'6". Even with the belt drive hydros the pumps and controls were the same.

With the advent of the Minute Mount system Fisher pretty much standardized the truck side mounts for the conventional (non homesteader) plows - both MM and MM2. Since you said that you have the three wire set up (and presumably an "isolation module" under the hood) I will assume you have the "Insta Act" elctric hydraulic pack (electric pump separate from the lift cylinder) and not the SEHP (hydro pack integral with the lift cylinder). This makes your plow a fairly late MM1 (similar to the one I just traded in on my old truck).

Now where does this leave you. A new MM2 8', 8'6" or 9' HD blade or X-blade should mount up and plug into your truck side brackets and wiring harness. What I said about just changing the blades is still a possibility but not economical unless you also have a late style M series blade (identified by the 16" long center pivot pin vs 6" pin on the early style L series blade).
1966 Chevrolet C-20

Anybody see a pattern here?